Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy

Just Plain Jeff Guest

My feeling about fuel economy is that a safe driver is using the proper amount of fuel. And further, that safety is more important than chipping pennies.

I drive a bus about 20K a year, perhaps more. Using the old-fashioned 5 alert system of managing a bus in traffic seems to work.

Here's how it goes:

You have 5 things to be concerned about: The people ahead, the people behind, those on either side and yourself. If you keep a zone of safety in all those 5 areas, you will avoid problems.

That being said, my take is the primary concern is that buses do not stop as well as other critters on the roads, and also we don't corner like the semis do (time delay valves and the like). Furthermore, every bus seems to brake differently than another.

The XLV with disc brakes stops faster than previous year coaches; being mindful that with air brakes, you put your foot on the brake and stay with it.

We've all seen coaches slamming it down the hammer lane, probably because they can; and lots of complaints from other rvs about that, "Yeah, I've seen those Prevosts going by me at 80 mph."

Latest trip was an H3-45 with a big trailer who had to be in the 80-85 mph. Willing to bet his/her stopping distance was a whole lot more than my portly 68 mph, which was the flow of traffic in the center lane on flat level surface on I-95 for the big boys.

The idea is that one should probably be more concerned with what is going on outside the windshield than inside, but I watch the turbo boost. Using the motorcycle mentality of the 3-second rule, "Three seconds ahead, 3 seconds nearby," I try to watch the boost. If I am consistently at say, 20 pounds, that's not going to be good mileage as the engine is creating more power/using more fuel.

With the advantage of height over 4-wheelers, we can see down the road a bit farther. If you see a slow down in traffic ahead, it's a public service to hit the 4-way flashers to warn at least the commercial drivers that there's trouble up ahead. Those behind you will usually put theirs on as well and avoid an, "Oh-oh," situation. Maintaining a longer than usual interval ahead is a really good idea.

For those who may be newer to driving a 25-ton vehicle down the road: When you see a Weigh Station that's open, time to get to the middle lane if you are in the right lane, as there will likely be slow moving truck traffic coming out into traffic.

Generally speaking, I figure if, in moderate to heavy traffic, if you can keep in the center lane with the flow of bg-guy traffic with the 5 alert system, you'll get to where you need to go, safely; with the fuel mileage that follows safe driving.

Lastly, don't worry about the drivers of charter buses whipping down the road. Driving your coach is not supposed to be a competitive sport. Bob-OO sells stuff for the Kart people, now that's competitive. Our deal is enjoying the ride, taking in this beautiful country in comfort and safety.

There are probably a bunch of things wrong with this approach, but for an old geezer it seems to work.

lewpopp Guest

This is real scarey. To dp something that Jon does. I always have driven the bus at 62-63 for saftey and economy. Anything less than that and I get saluted the same way I saluted the old people 10 years ago.

I change the air filter every year and am amazed how the mileage increases easily a few tenths. I normally don't drive in too many dusty areas but a lot of air is sucked thru that system.

I thought I was getting the air filters wholesale until I saw the retail on the bill along side of the price I was getting. I paid around $55 for the filter on my 8v92. Anyone else getting a better price?

Lew

PS. Note that I am on the computer in the AM. Bride is playing golf with Annika and Michelle. Shhhhhhhh !

dreadnought Guest

yall are hurting my feelings with these big mileage claims.
    I only have one 700 mile trip from Florida to home with my new ride, but with the cruise set on 79 & towing nothing we averaged 4.7 mpg Oh well, maybe my wife is right.. "this is not your Peterbilt dahling, slow down."

win42 Guest

Jon: The lady in the Focus and the guy in the small truck would have been far behind you when the incidents took place had you been driving 70 prior to meeting them. However at 70 you would have probably hit the deer that crossed way ahead of you while you were at a slower pace. What the Hay.
    Slower is calmer, safer and easier on the right seat passenger. Ken is correct 8V92 = 6 not towing 5 towing.
    Harry

Orren Zook Guest

Lew,

I paid $42.29 last month for mine (PA2333 Baldwin).... is that the one you're running?

I think Orren is paying the right price. As near as I can determine some suppliers offer trade price to anybody (such as Truck Pro), but some charge full retail (such as Fleetpride) unless you fill out the Baldwin credit application and then they set you up to pay the cheaper prices. It pays to shop.

In my experience air filters have a fairly long life based on the restriction gauge that I installed in line between the filter and turbo on both my coaches. Not replacing the filter prematurely is probably the most cost effective way to conserve Lewbucks.

I got my gauges from Prevost, and the kit comes complete with the gauge (which is a spring loaded indicator), hose and fittings to screw into the air intake tube.

Harry,

Only Jeff in his new postal service job has the ability to forecast where all the idiot drivers will be at any point in time via his satellite spy network, but assuming we were moving at Dreadnaught speeds it is probable we would encounter a different set of speed control devices disguised as cars.

Maybe it is an age thing, but I drive the bus at way different speeds than I do my Corvette. There are just too many folks out there trying to get run over by a bus so I just hope for the best and expect the worst and drive slow to enjoy the ride.

dalej Guest

Jon, when I picked up our coach yesterday the DDSM (detroit diesel service manager) said he would replace the KN filter with a paper filter. Do you think that is good advice? Or does anyone else have thoughts? Is the PA2333 filter work on all years of buses?
    Last edited by dalej; 10-20-2006 at 08:38 AM.

I think that is the number for the 8V92, and the number for a S60 is different.

I have no way of evaluating different filters, so I can't determine if the advice to change filters is sound. I do know with the gauge, the paper elements such as the number you posted have almost no restriction when new and after about 20,000 miles I end up changing them, not because the gauge is approaching the red zone, but out of guilt.

I'm heading out to the garage in an hour or so and I will photo the gauge and get the part number so whoever doesn't have one will know what I am discussing.

You guys crack me up! You go out and buy the most expensive rolling toy/house known to man and then worry about how your going to squeeze a 1/2 mile per gallon. You should be more worried about that 18 wheeler thats closing on you and half asleep that has to make a quick move before hitting your toad in the ass. I do 65 - 68, 7.4 mpg and go with the flow.
    Of course opinions are like, well you know, everyone has one!