Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Plastic Shield

I have the 3M type cover on my bus, I had it installed when I did the toad. My wife Mercedes came with the same stuff on it nw, so I did it to the toad and bus. I can see how it will keep the paint from chipping but could never see how it could save you from a dent. If that rock is going to dent the stainless it will do it with or without the 3M.

This is embarassing but for the benefit of true confessions, the reason I have not changed my signature is that I have not figured out how to do it. I only have three technicians doing this stuff for me at the office, but I am numb on how to add the picture, etc. to this site. We have a Country Coach Conversion which we dearly love and I have sold the trusty Newell. I will get a lot of flack but really, I don't know how to add the stuff to the bottom. What do I know? I am an economist who has been standing too close to the diesel fumes. I will work on it.
    Pres

Hi Reagan. At the top of this page , at the top right, next to 'log off', click on 'Settings'. Once you are on that page you will see a whole series of choices on the left . The 'Edit' functions are on he left down a little bit. Edit Signature, Edit Avatar are two choices to set up photo's and or information.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Pres,

I kinda like the shields, but never had one. How do you clean the bug juice and crap that gets down behind it? I wash down the front of mine after each day and would think dealing with the shield would be a pain unless it's on a hinge and can be easily moved for cleaning. Or do you have a Porter that handles that like Loc!

PS - Where's your signature, are you hiding the Converter or have you already traded again?
    Truk

Bug removal on any surface can be facilitated with a mixture (50-50) White Vinegar and H2O. This organic acid mixture dissolves the protein or glue from the decedent bugs interior (gall bladder, stomach, liver, etc.) which allow the exoskeleton to "stick" to said surface after the traumatic stop against windshields, plastic shields, even painted metal. A plastic spray bottle is best for this, a quick "soaking", wait five minutes and wipe off the insects. Use caution around bee's, wasps and yellow jackets as the stingers may still be installed. A final flush with clean water and a wipe down...you are finished. By the very dynamic of things, it would be difficult, nearly impossible to find bug remains inside of the shield.

I can't attest to John's method above, but in Florida we are beseiged with love bugs which, believe me, I _DON'T_ love. A fantastic, FAST, method to get them off is to get the surface wet and rub them with a dryer sheet. Yep, that's it! Seconds later they are gone! I got the cheapest ones I could find at the dollar store and they work great.

John,

I use 25/100 vinegar and water to wipe down my coach. It works great on road grime, oil, and bugs. Been using it for years.

Pete Petree told me about it. It also leaves a nice shine on the paint.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Default Try this?

Here in Arkansas we know bugs. The vinegar thing is probably the best, maybe with the dryer clothes a little bit better/faster. Has anyone just tried to dodge the bugs?

TO AVOID WIND NOISE WITH YOUR FRONT SHIELD REMOVED: Tie an 8 foot long piece of 3/4" hemp rope to the engine door handles at the center rear of your coach. It works for elephants and makes them stream lined.
    Last edited by hhoppe; 06-17-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali