Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Satellite TV Question

I have Direct tv in my home and on the Bus. Due to not having a phone line attached to the bus reciever everytime I do not use the bus for several weeks I have to call in to Direct tv to reset bus reciever. Here is the good news as there is a special number to call 800-769-4635 and you do not have to go thru any prompts and it is always answered promtply!!! This is there Special projects group and seem to know more than the regular folks!! Give it a try. Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Quote Originally Posted by Neal&Carla View Post
    After we have not used our bus Direct TV for a while (more than a week or so) we frequently do not have a signal. A call to Direct TV take care of it in short time.
    Neal
    You can also do this yourself online (Reset/resend authorization). Start at the following link: https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/login...uestid=3701952, then login with your e-mail address and DirecTV password. Then click on "Help" then "Tools" and then "Refresh your receiver". Select the receiver(s) you want to refresh and within a couple of minutes you should be back in business!

If anyone is interested, both DirecTV and Dish Network use a netwrok style configuration for all the satellite receivers. Both companies have a automatic refresh network protocol in place that goes out and checks all activated receivers on the network eery 3 weeks or so. If the receiver isn't seen it is dropped from the current receiver database in the netwrok. So if you haven't left your receiver connected to a satellite dish that is pointed to the satellite for 3 weeks or more that receiver is dropped from the network. Once you reconnect it to the satellite the receiver has to be re-authorized again to make it active in the network again. This can be done online, by phone or by an authorized technician like myself. The secret to never having to re-authorize a satellite recever is to leave it up on a satellite connection even when not in use. When you park the bus in the barn, connect the receivers to a fixed satellite on the barn and you will never have to reauthorize them again. Hope this helps all of POG that are frustrated with re-authorization.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Good reason to use the bus at least every two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by GSwaim View Post
    If anyone is interested, both DirecTV and Dish Network use a netwrok style configuration for all the satellite receivers. Both companies have a automatic refresh network protocol in place that goes out and checks all activated receivers on the network eery 3 weeks or so. If the receiver isn't seen it is dropped from the current receiver database in the netwrok. So if you haven't left your receiver connected to a satellite dish that is pointed to the satellite for 3 weeks or more that receiver is dropped from the network. Once you reconnect it to the satellite the receiver has to be re-authorized again to make it active in the network again. This can be done online, by phone or by an authorized technician like myself. The secret to never having to re-authorize a satellite recever is to leave it up on a satellite connection even when not in use. When you park the bus in the barn, connect the receivers to a fixed satellite on the barn and you will never have to reauthorize them again. Hope this helps all of POG that are frustrated with re-authorization.
    I think you should be a bit more clear about this. "Being Seen" doesn't mean being seen by the satellite in the sky because the satellite receivers don't transmit, they only receive. As I understand it, the satellite companies send out a code and each receiver must phone home (either by internet or by telephone) to respond to the 'ping'. Just leaving a dish parked out in a field with no telephone or internet connection would not notify the head end that the unit was still listening as a network participant. At some point, the thing has to phone home to justify its existence.

Please do enlighten me if I'm wrong, of if perhaps there is more to the story.

-fred

Fred, The software in the receiver is expecting to see the signal from the birds and when it does not (for an extended period set by DirectTV) it drops off the network. It does not talk to the network, just receives from it. We have a unit used in our outdoor area that has not "called home" for over three years. Its one of the older TIVO units, still works fine, just displays the "call home" message when we use the DVR features.

Quote Originally Posted by mike kerley View Post
    Fred, The software in the receiver is expecting to see the signal from the birds and when it does not (for an extended period set by DirectTV) it drops off the network. It does not talk to the network, just receives from it. We have a unit used in our outdoor area that has not "called home" for over three years. Its one of the older TIVO units, still works fine, just displays the "call home" message when we use the DVR features.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I was just taking issue with the comment that "If the receiver isn't seen it will be dropped from the network database". Perhaps I'm just being nit-picky with semantics. Good info all.

-fred

Perhaps they could get this process just a little MORE complicated...

Actually it's pretty simple, just use what you have every couple of weeks and nothing will need to be done with the receivers. Park and forget it for a month and you will have to have a reauthorization. Ain't that complicated

As to the electron chasing, what I've expereinced most think they want to know all of the details but somewhere somewhere in the middle of the discussion I get the glassy eyed, I'm sorry I asked look that tells me they really didn't want to know. That's why I try to keep it simple. Sorry to those folks wanting to get into the minutia of how the receivers work.