Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite TV Question

Michael,

How can you get the locals when the spot beam is only good within approximately 100 miles of Atlanta? I used to be able to do that years ago, but have been told by Direct it's not possible anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Michael,

How can you get the locals when the spot beam is only good within approximately 100 miles of Atlanta? I used to be able to do that years ago, but have been told by Direct it's not possible anymore.
    Tom - I don't know how! All I can tell you is that I was watching the WXIA-TV newscast from Bella Terra in Gulf Shores. AL last September and also remember watching the Atlanata channels from Cherokee, NC a couple of months ago!

Donnie_M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldterry View Post
    I agree with Mark! My wife loves her HD at home, but we get by just fine with SD in the bus. I may be one of the last dinosaurs, but I'm just not a discerning enough TV viewer to really appreciate the HD difference to the extent that most seem to! I don't know how we did it, but we got DirecTV to set our service so that we get our local (home) channels no matter where we go in the bus. The only thing I would like to change (but I'm too cheap) is to be able to use an RF remote to change channels from anywhere in the bus. To use an RF remote, I'd have to upgrade to an HD receiver or DVR - which is an additional monthly charge (I think about ten bucks). Because I have the standard receiver instead of the HD receiver, the RF remote is not compatible. So when we're rolling down the road and Vita is watching her judge shows on the front TV, she has to go to the rear salon to change channels. Man, life can be hard for us frugal guys (cheapskates)!
    Install a IR repeating system such as http://www.iautomate.com/products/IR...eater-Kit.html there are several different brands that achieve the same result. I have not had good luck with the rf to ir systems, plus if you are at a rally, someone else can change your stations. The IR repeating system will also allow you to install only one Blu Ray (or other DVD players) and control it from the other areas including the bay. This is the one we use http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20262 on non AMX coaches. Don't be intimidated about running wires front to rear, you can use Prevost spares and also be very creative on wire runs...lol

It's very important to purchase the right IR repeating system depending on whether or not you have LCD, Plasma and fluorescent lighting. All these component put out light frequencies which interfere with IR repeating devises.
    Last edited by Donnie_M; 06-13-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Michael,Boy did you luck out with the Direct TV guy. I wonder if he can come to Florida? Still have not had any resolution with this and still getting the royal run around from Direct TV. Willis

Arrow

I purchased an IR to UHF kit from Dish Network, haven't installed it yet.

After reading all this I sure hope it works!!!

JIM

We have direct TV with the sound coming from the bose system, this causes us to use the bose remote for sound control and tv remote for tv control. Any solutions?
    Bill

Michael
    Our Royale has Sat. reciever, dvd in the rear of the coach. It had Channel Plus RF and modulator when we bought it. I have just updated the Channel Plus stuff. Am using CP DA 550 BID RF distribtion amp to control the Sat and DVD. It uses the existing coax. Also have a channel plus modulator. The modulator allows me to set each the Sat. R. and dvd to a certain channel. Use 55 for Sat. R and 63 for DVD. To watch Sat. TV tune to 55 and use the remote to change channels. Also allows us to turn the Sat. R on and off from the couch. No running front to back to control every thing without moving.

Donnie_M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1170 View Post
    We have direct TV with the sound coming from the bose system, this causes us to use the bose remote for sound control and tv remote for tv control. Any solutions?
    Bill
    For the Bose, if it is the older RF only model, use a IR to RF Bose matchbox. http://www.audioauthority.com/produc..._Converter/5/1 It's a little pricey, but it works! With this unit you can get a programmable universal remote, we prefer the MX850 for the ease of programming and it's user friendly. You can find the IR codes at Remote Central .com.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie_M View Post
    Install a IR repeating system such as http://www.iautomate.com/products/IR...eater-Kit.html there are several different brands that achieve the same result. I have not had good luck with the rf to ir systems, plus if you are at a rally, someone else can change your stations. The IR repeating system will also allow you to install only one Blu Ray (or other DVD players) and control it from the other areas including the bay. This is the one we use http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20262 on non AMX coaches. Don't be intimidated about running wires front to rear, you can use Prevost spares and also be very creative on wire runs...lol

It's very important to purchase the right IR repeating system depending on whether or not you have LCD, Plasma and fluorescent lighting. All these component put out light frequencies which interfere with IR repeating devises.
    Donnie - thanks for the tip! We'll be checking into an IR repeating system!

Donnie_M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldterry View Post
    Donnie - thanks for the tip! We'll be checking into an IR repeating system!
    Check around real close in your coach, it may have a Niles system in it that someone just disconnected. Your year usually had a Niles in it.