Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite TV Question

Default Satellite TV Question

We are new to this TV system and have an in motion satellite. The previous owner leased the Receivers so we are unable to use them. We have gotten the run around BIG time from Direct TV about what to do,what to buy,where to buy,etc. Every time we call we get a different answer and feel like flipping a coin! Today's person wants to send us 2 receivers for FREE and have 150 Channels for $34.95 per month providing we have good credit. Anyone have advice for us? This is really frustrating and it seems like it should be pretty simple.

A while back Direct TV stopped selling their receivers and started "leasing" them. They say it had something to do with combating pirates. The deal you mentioned sounds reasonable. You can always add channels or get a different package if you don't like what they give you for $34.95, which I would guess is only a teaser price good for a limited time.
    If you have Direct TV at home, just add 2 receivers for "home" and put them in the bus.
    Some POG members have DISH and seem to be very happy with that. Maybe they will chime in with info on DISH.

Thanks for your response..found out we can buy the receivers at Camping World for about $100.00 each. See you are at TGO..we love that place and hope to be there soon for a long weekend.

If you have a home receiver and get 150 miles from home you cannot get the local channels.When you sign up for your direct tv make sure that you get the national networks,I want the evening news.I had to provide a registration card to prove that I owned a motorhome,I now have 4 receivers(2 in the coach,1 in the shop,1 at the lake house)that they think are in the coach with the same billing.I guess that when they do not let me own the receivers I will have 3 billings.

Quote Originally Posted by Willis Michell View Post
    We are new to this TV system and have an in motion satellite. The previous owner leased the Receivers so we are unable to use them. We have gotten the run around BIG time from Direct TV about what to do,what to buy,where to buy,etc. Every time we call we get a different answer and feel like flipping a coin! Today's person wants to send us 2 receivers for FREE and have 150 Channels for $34.95 per month providing we have good credit. Anyone have advice for us? This is really frustrating and it seems like it should be pretty simple.
    Depending on which in motion system you have, it can get complicated. I have a Tracstar SV360 and have two DirecTV receivers. Since one of the latest firmware updates in the receivers, you can only get programming on the 101 satellite and can NOT get any HD programming period. DirecTV uses Ku and Ka bands and I don't know of any in motion solution to the HD issues. I bought professional model receivers and do own them, but any of the discounted pricing will only get you a leased receiver. I went the pro route for the better cooling in my equipment rack.

If you have the Tracstar dish, you can get Dish network receivers and you can get HD with them. All depends on what you have and what you want.

Donnie_M Guest

Are you sure about Camping World? I just went through this "roller coaster" ride this morning! I have been installing HD DVR's for the last 3 years and have been buying from Best Buy and Costco. 2 weeks ago I sent my parts runner (aka my wife...lol) to get 2 HD DVR's from Costco and we were told they had to send all their receivers back for up grades! Well yesterday I have a customer that needs a receiver. So I told Mr Barnicle to just go to Best Buy and get 2 last night and I would put them in this morning. NOT!! After 3 hours on the phone with EVERY voice prompt I finally found out that Direct TV only sells/leases exclusively! And they will only send out a new receiver to the address on the bill After talking to many supervisors, I talked them into coming to my place and "installing" the new receivers as a "new install"! The kicker is, they still won't come till Friday!!! DIRECT TV STINKS!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me, I have a lot more choice and colorful words for these idiots. They told me they stopped "selling the leases" at retail stores due to the fact that the retail stores were not explaining to the consumer that the receiver was "leased" and didn't belong to them!

Donnie_M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
    Depending on which in motion system you have, it can get complicated. I have a Tracstar SV360 and have two DirecTV receivers. Since one of the latest firmware updates in the receivers, you can only get programming on the 101 satellite and can NOT get any HD programming period. DirecTV uses Ku and Ka bands and I don't know of any in motion solution to the HD issues. I bought professional model receivers and do own them, but any of the discounted pricing will only get you a leased receiver. I went the pro route for the better cooling in my equipment rack.

If you have the Tracstar dish, you can get Dish network receivers and you can get HD with them. All depends on what you have and what you want.
    Mark, you can use a Trac Star for in motion Standard Definition Direct TV (which their new soft ware was e-mailed to me today for the "run lock verify" message you will soon be getting ) and a Winegard 5 lnb stationary dish for HD when parked. You should install (if using HD DVR's) 4 AB or ABC switches (depending if you park the coach in a building) to switch between in motion, stationary or external dish and 2 multi-switches. The two 2x4 multi-switches will allow the Trac Star and the external "dual lnb" satellite on your building to "light" up both tuners on 2 HD DVR's and also keep them "on signal" when Direct Tv sends out the up dates so yo will always have signal when you decide to go on a trip and you won't have to call them for a "hit".

Donnie_M Guest

Also in the latest firmware up grade, the IR (infra red) pulse time for holding down on a button (on the Direct TV remote control) for 2 seconds which made that button "repeat" the command was changed to .5 seconds What this does is completely screw up some of the commands from an automated system such as an AMX or Crestron remote system. So, in other words, if some of you with AMX or Crestron control systems start experiencing a "double firing" effect, you will need someone to change the programming to "fire" the IR command for .4 seconds to remedy the problem. Once again Direct TV totally messes up our day Did I say I HATE Direct TV???

Feeling the pain of Direct TV and think I will watch old Seinfelds instead of this hastle. We called Best Buy and they have NO idea when they will get in new receivers for Direct TV or a price. We also did call 2 different Camping World stores and they say they sell Direct TV receivers,the plain and the HD. This is unreal and I too have a great dislike for Direct TV. It has gotten actually funny when we call because they all give a different story and work for the same company! It gets funnier around Happy Hour! Dish Network was unable to offer any help and Direct is so screwy it is unreal! We have the AMX system so I think we may take up READING instead of TV. Thanks!

Donnie_M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Willis Michell View Post
    Feeling the pain of Direct TV and think I will watch old Seinfelds instead of this hastle. We called Best Buy and they have NO idea when they will get in new receivers for Direct TV or a price. We also did call 2 different Camping World stores and they say they sell Direct TV receivers,the plain and the HD. This is unreal and I too have a great dislike for Direct TV. It has gotten actually funny when we call because they all give a different story and work for the same company! It gets funnier around Happy Hour! Dish Network was unable to offer any help and Direct is so screwy it is unreal! We have the AMX system so I think we may take up READING instead of TV. Thanks!
    Are you in the position to just have Direct TV just send them to you? Programming the AMX is not a problem ( if you are in the right part of the country ) If you get the HD receivers, you can use an "RF" remote until you get to a qualified programmer. If you go with standard def, you will just have to get up and go to the back to change stations