Thread: OKC to Santa Fe, I-40 to I-25

Default OKC to Santa Fe, I-40 to I-25

When we leave Oklahoma City our next stop is Santa Fe, NM. I need advice on the best route to take. Should I drive I-40 all the way to Albuquerque the take I-25 to Santa Fe ? Or can I take Hgwy 285 or Hgwy 84 north from I-40 to I-25? Or is there a better route? Has anyone driven this route lately?

Thanks

Andre,

Though I haven't driven it in years, 285 was the way to go from I-40 to get to Santa Fe. The drive all the way over to Albuquerque is extra miles and not necessary. Maybe someone who has driven 285 recently will chime in.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

The best way will be to run I-40 and then take 285 at Clines Corner. We were on that exact route two weeks ago. You will have no problems. There is a good rV park on the South side of Santa Fe. I do believe it is a KOA; someone may have a name and a better location of the RV park as we have not stayed there.

Loc & Bill,

Thanks for the information. I thought 285 would be the right choice, nice to hear that Bill was on it 2 weeks ago. Can't ask for more up to date info then that. We have reservations at Santa Fe Skies, based on previous recommendations for other POG members.
    http://www.santafeskiesrvpark.com/index.html

We were in Santa Fe last year taking the same route that has been mentioned. We also stayed at Santa Fe Skies. It is very nice. A couple of great places to dine are Fuego and Geronimo. They were outstanding! We also went to Gabriel's north of town. It was a fun, festive Mexican restaurant. Enjoy the great art galleries on Canyon Road. What a wonderful place to visit.

Carla

Whatever you do eat at Gabriels!!!!!!!!! This a must!

If you get over to Taos dont miss Michael's Kitchen.

These are both GREAT places.

Am I the only one who gets the willies traveling on a rode with no signs of civilization? That's 285 north to Santa Fe. Pretty but prey you don't have a mechanical failure as you see no signs of human life and your cell phone reception is going south. I rode solo on my Harley from Aspen to Sturgis multiple times and and while going north in Wyoming where there was no sign of any buildings , signs etc. as far as you could see in ALL directions, I could always start to hear engine noises I never heard before. Exciting but I'm getting too old for that. I , at least, stay in cell phone range where ever I'm going.

We did this route a couple years ago. Met Sid Tuls in Amarillo, then on to Santa Fe and stayed at Santa Fe Skies, enjoyed it immensley and as a side note, I dropped my "good eyeglasses" somehow when getting ready to leave and left them. Later in the day, a phone call from the manager to let me know they had found a pair of eyeglasses, they mailed them foreward to where we were staying in Colorado at their expense. Can't beat that.

Santa Fe Skies was the site of POG II, if memory serves correctly. We had a great rally. If I remember correctly there were only about 12 or 15 coaches. Someone else may need to verify the date, but I think it was Oct. 2006!

That was where Roger became the King of Bling! And JDUB ran a close second!

Good times!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

several years ago, we had a POG rally up by Sturgis, SD. I made the trip solo and met up with Harry & Shirley in Casper, Wyoming. If you ever want some alone time, just drive thru Wyoming. No cell service in most of the state. Satelite radio works.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide