Thread: Series 60 crankcase breather steel mesh

Default Series 60 crankcase breather steel mesh

I noticed the Prevost manual indicates that the crankcase breather steel mesh should be cleaned every 50 thousand miles.

In reading the engine manual it seems you must remove the valve cover to access the steel mesh. With our XL-II that means opening up the closet floor. Does anyone have another way to accomplish this?

Perhaps the better question is who has doen this? Maybe Kevin has.

Yes Jon, but only because I had the valve cover off. I would not go to any extra effort to clean this, only if you needed to remove the valve cover for something else like a top end tune up.

Kevin,

How bad did yours need cleaning?

Pacific Power was supposed to do mine when they did the valves but after their mistakes on the coolant change I'm not confident they did.

Kevin,

That makes two of us! LOL

James, this is a hard question to answer, how bad was it. If you think about a very heavy steel wool material soaked in the black engine oil for over 100,000 miles, it looks bad. But I would think it was still doing the job just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Erion View Post
    James, this is a hard question to answer, how bad was it. If you think about a very heavy steel wool material soaked in the black engine oil for over 100,000 miles, it looks bad. But I would think it was still doing the job just fine!
    Thanks, I'll wait until the next valve adjustment at 120K.

I miss the C13 CAT. You could get to the breather from the outside, of course it wasn't connected to a Prevost.

Trucks, especially conventionals with long hoods are a joy to work on compared to a Prevost. Regardless of which engine they have.