Thread: Racor info wanted

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Racor info wanted

Does anyone have any sharable, or a source for technical lit on the racor fuel filter/ water separator that uses the S3202 replacement element?

Thanks in advance.

Ed,
    It is a Parker-Hannifin product. You can go on line with them. Ed has the manual and if you need any filter interchanges, he can help with that. His cell number is 305-360-0269.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

sawdust_128 Guest

Thanks for that info Sandy. I had been to that site previously and did not find anything that seemed to relate to what I had.

Ed,
    What is it that you are looking for exactly? Ed said that he has a brochure on Marine filters which is the same. He has them on his boat. He can fax it to you if you would like. Give us your fax number and he will send it to you if you like. Call him and ya'll can work it out together.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

sawdust_128 Guest

Hey Sandy. Thanks for that.

I learned enough today to figure out that RACOR is not going to have the information that I want. Here's the situation

I have a primary fuel filter with a water seperator bowl with an electrical lead exiting the bowl at the bottom.

The only identification number I have so far is RACOR S3202. Armed with this tidbit is how I started this quest. Here is what I have found out so far.

1. The RACOR S3202 is a widely used spin on filter element which accepts a water seperator bowl on the botom end. It is a fairly "universal" part. It's use in NO WAY indicates what you have for a filter assembly. Here's how:

The actual filter head (what this cartridge attaches to) may be any such device to which the S3202 element can be attached and there are many. According to RACOR, the filter head on a Detroit Series 60 was an OEM product by some manufacturer other than RACOR. [ So now my first question is what did DD install and where do I find technical documentation on it to be able to care for and feed it correctly ]

Next issue: The RACOR glass bowl has an electrical lead exiting it. For A. a heater or B. a water probe or C something else? Apparently, those are the choices that RACOR has provided, excluding C. [ So my second question is how is this lead and electrical device treated/managed during replacement of the cartridge? ] Again, these are the types of issues I am trying to resolve before I go taking off filter elements, exposing raw fuel and mixing in some electric device of unknown nature.

So, my request here is for info, instruction or advice. I know that this seems much to do about little or nothing. I also know that I am paranoid. However, none of that changes the fact that throughout my whole life I have been out to get me and worse, I'm getting better at it.

So Sandy, thanks for taking the time to help.

Ed,

Absent a photo I am making an assumption your Racor and the one on my coach are similar, if not the same.

There are two ways I service mine. I replace the pleated cartridge element routinely, and if warranted drop the bowl to remove sediment. I have opened the drain plug at the bottom once in 20 years when I detected water in the bowl. I have dropped the bowl twice in 20 years when some sediment was noted.

On my first coach the wires were for a heating element, something I suspect was to prevent fuel from gelling, although I have no clue as to the purpose of them on the current coach.

I have never seen any documents on the device. What specifically are you looking for?

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Additional info and pictures

Here is the bowl assembly with the leads mounted onto the S3202 filter element cannister.

It may well be a heater disc inside that bowl. After looking at it, I am not so concerned about that as I can disconnect it right there.

IMG_7367..JPG

Here is the filter assembly head mounted to the block.
    My questions are, who makes it and is there any servicing required of this unit?

IMG_7360..JPG

Here is a decent view of the entire primary filter assembly. I am assuming that all of this is threaded together? That would be a question.
    IMG_7365..JPG

Thanks in advance.

Totally different model than mine. I cannot help you on that.

lonesome george Guest

Ed, got tired of looking for the Racor filter and have no idea what the function of the cap and sensor is, my guess is water sensor, mine has a different outside appearance here are some pixs of it. The thing lives in a plastic bag now.
    Mr. DD runs just fine without it, I'm using a Baldwin BF5813 fuel filter in its place.
    If you find a source for the Racor filter or a substitute please post it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sawdust_128 Guest

George your's appears to be the same as mine. Looking at your picture, that lead appears to be for a water probe. There is supposed to be a light on your dash which will come on to warn you that there is water in that bowl.

Water Seperator..jpg

George take a look here:

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literat...ts/form349.pdf

If you have a spin-on, you may be able to use BALDWIN #BF5813 recommended for Detroit primaries. It has a manual water release on it.

Go here http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/startproductguide.html put in the part number and get info.