Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: License Costs?

Ray,

I live in Ohio and Ohio law states that if you reside in Ohio, owned vehicles must be titled in Ohio. Prior to establishing a Montana LLC through Bennett Law Office, I checked with my attorney and she said that it is legal. The loop hole is that I personally do not own the vehicle but the LLC does. I own 100%of the LLC but do not directly own the bus. My toad car is titled in Ohio and my driver license is Ohio.

Several months I was stopped by a beautiful, young, star-struck, Ohio State Highway PatrolWOMAN and the first words out of her mouth were "who's on the bus?" She had a great look of disappointment when I told her my wife and I. She then started asking how many people were on the bus. Again, disappointment when I told he two, my wife and I.

She did the normal things a cop does and checked my license and registration and asked why I had Montana plates on the bus living in Ohio. I told her that I own a corporation in Montana and that the bus is titled in the name of the Montana corporation. I showed her insurance papers with the Montana corporation name confirming everything and she was satisfied.

Since she had to have Probable Cause to stop me and "Who's on the bus?" does not qualify, she said I did not signal a lane change and don't do it again. If there was a legal problem with the Montana LLC and a non Montana drivers license, I would not have been told "Don't do it again and have a nice day."

I have had the LLC for several years and have purchased a Foretravel and a Prevost with it saving thousands of dollars in sales tax. But before anyone does a LLC, check with your attorney because each state is different.

Bennett Law Office is also the one I used in Montana. Everything I read says they are the best to use.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

jelmore Guest

Wow. Bennett Law Office has it figured out. I talked to Dan Bennett, he sent me an overview of how it all works. It's all definitely stuff I don't need or want to know. Certainly worth their fee. Thanks for the advice.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim

Go back to old posts and check ones by BEN on this issue. He fulltimes and I believe he has a real informative post on it. I believe after his Montana regesrtation, I think I remember that he uses a Texas address for some legal reason. The law there is most advantagious for this senerio and is was the least hassle and cost.

Welcome to the group.

Wink As Shookie Says: It Won't Be Long Now!

jelmore;First post: We're getting ready to buy and hit the road full time and it seems timing is an issue. I imagine we'll use a mail forwarding service, so that would be our home state. But if we buy the bus before we have that service and haven't closed on the house, then do we pay tax and licence fees in our current state or is there a grace period? Maybe I need some local legal advice?

Really enjoy this forum, by the way. I'm sure we'll have many questions and someday be able to provide some answers!

Welcome JIM and LINDA, Well It didn't take you long to get into the pot. Hope everything goes well on your new acquisition and fulltiming. Sounds like you are especially busy right now, but soon as you can, fill in the user profile and tell us a little about yourself. Pictures are good, show and tell, we will all enjoy your experiences. What conversion did you buy? What part of the country are you in NOW? JIM

lewpopp Guest

I also use the Bennet Law firm and they ask you some key questions over the phone and will send you a complete explanation of everything.

I was in an accident a year or so ago with my car and the police officer wondered why I had it registered in Montana with a NY drivers license. I told him my LLC owned the car and that's all I said and it was accepted, I was in Florida when this happened.

My coach is permanently registered and I do not have to spend a nickle to register each year.

Registering a car is pricey every year. My Saturn Vue coat about $366 each year. It depends how old your car is.

When the coach is 11 years old it qualifies for the permanent reg.

lew

We had similar thing crossing the border back into the US. The border agent asked all the usual questions, guns, booze etc. Then asked why our drivers license didn't match the coach registration. I explained, the coach was a company vehicle. That said, she was satisfied and we were on our way.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Born and raised in NJ..Still live there..

Default For Lew

Hi Lew,
    Would you go into detail about this no yearly fee...who Qualifies and I wonder what Reg. Fees would be in Fl. if I find the 1990 or so Pre...??
    Thanks Viv

It is a permanent registration and I now pay no yearly fees.