Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: License Costs?

Question:

If you can save money by registering the coach in Montana; why not save money by registering the toad in Montana?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

lewpopp Guest

It certainly makes sense. I licensed my car (new) in Montana when I purchased it without a trade so I didn't have to pay the long sales tax. Then when I purchased the coach, I just gave the dealer Bennett's address. Easy as pie. I only need one insurance policy instead of two.

I was going to license my coach and car in Florida and when I found out the increased cost of insurance, and the cost of re-licensing the vehicle, I passed. It was several hundred dollars and my coach has a permanent registration on it now so it won't cost me a nickle from here on out

Lew

Ben Guest

I will eventually get my car into the LLC, but I purchased the car before I setup the LLC... before I bought the bus, so sales tax has already been paid, so there is no hurry to get it into the LLC.

jelmore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    It certainly makes sense. I licensed my car (new) in Montana when I purchased it without a trade so I didn't have to pay the long sales tax. Then when I purchased the coach, I just gave the dealer Bennett's address. Easy as pie. I only need one insurance policy instead of two.
    First post: We're getting ready to buy and hit the road full time and it seems timing is an issue. I imagine we'll use a mail forwarding service, so that would be our home state. But if we buy the bus before we have that service and haven't closed on the house, then do we pay tax and licence fees in our current state or is there a grace period? Maybe I need some local legal advice?

Really enjoy this forum, by the way. I'm sure we'll have many questions and someday be able to provide some answers!

Try FMCA for mail forwarding. Sounds like you would be the prime example of a person who should have a Montana LLC. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I had a Montana law firm create an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) for me in November. It cost me about $1000 for the firm's fee and $225 for a lifetime tag for the coach. I have to pay $125 a year for the firm to maintain my LLC and provide me with a permanent Montana address.

If I had registered the bus in Florida, the initial cost would have been over $12,000 plus $150 -$200 a year thereafter for a tag. I realize they may outlaw this sometime, but so far it is legal. If I have to, I will buy a lot in Alabama and park it over there. I guess I should have never moved from Tennessee, and I could have enjoyed the low annual fee like Jon.

I'm sure I could have established the Montana LLC myself, and saved some money, but I was in a hurry, and I didn't know all the hoops to jump through. I went a little slower when establishing an LLC in Florida a couple months ago, and I got a law firm to do it for lesss than $200. I created the LLC in florida to actually limit my liability on my farm since I board horses and have many people in and out of the farm. Dale
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

So, I guess I have to question the legality aspect of it. Perhaps laws are different in TN, than here.

From what I'm told about CA law, if I reside in CA, then I have 30 days to register any of my vehicles in CA. When I purchased my bus in Seattle and then registered down here, it cost me somewhere near $14k to register it.

Now, certainly I guess I could setup a Montana LLC, but it seems to me that if I am ever caught, this could be a bad deal? Perhaps I'm just a worry-wort, but I envision being pulled over for whatever reason, and then having to try to explain my CA drivers license, and Montana plates? Am I just being concerned about nothing?

Ray,

I don't think you are being concerned about "nothing". I am hoping if I ever get stopped, that I can convince the trooper that because I have a residence in Florida and NC, and a third address in Montana, and that I go to and through all 3 states periodically, I am legal. I do have a vacation cottage in NC, and I have been through Montana 4 times in the last 2 years, so I don't know if I can convince them enough to stay out of trouble or not.

One of the things that I have read is that your are much less apt to get in trouble if you keep the bus out of sight most of the time. Sitting in your driveway or on the side of the street is not a good idea. I live off the road several hundred feet and keep the bus in a shed, so I am hoping to minimize my exposure. I am also aware that there could be complications, but I have done mine according to Florida law which states that I must have it outside of the state for the first 6 months. It will stay in Alabama until I pick it up to go to POG III. My 6 months will be up when I return from POG.

I have gone by the law in establishing the LLC, but at the same time, I do know there may be other implications. I don't think they will ever be able to get me for breaking the law. Neither do I want to flaunt my bus with an out of state tag, while I am in Florda. Also, I am retired, so I have no Florida job and have no children enrolled in school. I don't encourage or discourage anyone from doing this because they could outlaw this everywhere at any time. It is currently worth the trouble for me.
    Last edited by dale farley; 03-23-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

jelmore Guest

If I don't own any real estate and use a mail forwarding service, does that mail forwarding service become my state of residence? If so, I wouldn't need a separate corporation to own the bus, would I? I suppose I could move my sub-s corporation to another state and then it could own the bus. I guess I should check with my accountant.

I've used Bennett Law Office in Missoula, MT. They are extremely effecient and will have the entire LLC, plates and title back to you in a week, hassle free. They will also email you their legal interpretation of the law as it pertains to your state of residence. I will note that one of the first queations out of their mouth is do you reside in Florida as their are some "issues" with that state and Montana tags. But you should let them explain the situation.

Bennett Law Office
    135 W. Main St.
    Missoula, MT 59802

I dealt with attorney Alain Burrese.

Mike