Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: License Costs?

Default License Costs?

I'm wondering what other people pay for licensing their coach on a yearly basis with the DMV? I've got an older coach (1993), and just received my first yearly bill from the DMV for nearly $1000. I was a bit surprised on a 14 year old vehicle.

Anyone will to share what their yearly expenses are? Did I get classified correctly?

Ray

Ray, That is the price you pay for living in Paradise. Over here in redneck country each county differs, with ours being outrageous due to a recently imposed wheel tax. We have to pay $60 annually. It was $30 the year before las.

In NY our bus used to cost $65 per year.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

$110 per year in Illinois plus $35 for a vehical sticker, because we park it at home, and $35 for the annual air polution test. Sounds like you might be "Movin to Montana"

Default License fees

Ray,

Down in cajun country, we pay $45 per year plus $10 for a brake tag.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Yikes, it's time to move!!!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ray, Montana has some VERY PREFFERABLE tax laws for those of you in states that are costly in this regard. Mango did it, Im sure there are others. Its a little bit of effort but well worth it. You form a corp. there and use there tags. It will save mucho sales tax when buying also.

Dont have to move,
    I dread the thought

Hmm, maybe a discussion item at POG?

I think it would be a good item for discussion because there are advantages in registering with your home state, and advantages in setting up an LLC or business to register in another state. Both have disadvantages also.

In VA the cost of registration is so high, the alternatives are better. In CA, if I am not mistaken (like NY) the tax chasers are very good at ferreting out those that evade paying the cash strapped state its due, and when you get caught the penalties are harsh.

In CA, when you register a vehicle (new or used) for the first time you effectively pay the state sales tax rate. In my county that was 7.75%, so registering a bus can be a pricey proposition.

I guess it's fairly common (with cars at least) that people try to avoid paying the road taxes by registering out of state. I've been told that they now have people watching out of state plates on the highways, and when they see the same plate for more than 30 days, they can go after you.

I've never seen it happen, or actually hear about anyone getting caught, but I've heard the warnings.

I think it might be cheaper to move!! CA is getting way to expensive, and I wanna get one of those large garages and dig a pit too!!

Ray

lewpopp Guest

I have a 90 and registered in Montana. It is a permanent registration and I now pay no yearly fees. I believe you would qualify with the older coach. I cost me a few bucks over double the yearly cost but I'll never pay any more after this year.

Lew