Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chasis Batteries

Default Chasis Batteries

Well I got to the storage facility last night and got ready to leave, turned the key and "click" nothing. I knew the batteries were getting weak over the past month. Luckily, there is a jump start switch on the Marathon dash so I was off and running from the house battery bank. So now that I'm in the market for four new starting batteries, who out there can give me a recommendation on brand, price, and source. There are Delkron's in there now. Age is unknown. Thanks for the help y'all.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

Default Interstate Batteries

Interstate seems to be a very good battery.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...ine.asp?id=RVs

They also have dealers almost everywhere to handle any situation that might come up down the road.

Gary S.

Prevost Jacksonville deemed Interstate to be their choice to replace our Chassis Battery Bank with in 2008. No complaints since. Price was "Average"

I replaced mine in July, 09 with Delco 1150's. The Interstates that were in it only lasted 3 years(July, 06).

Johnny Guest

I am using innerstate since 05/2008 no problems.

sawdust_128 Guest

Do a forum search. There is a battery program with discounts for POG members. I think AGM's from Lifeline.

Prevost at one time used Delco 1150's exclusively and I used them on our first bus exclusively. I changed them every 5 years regardless of condition. They always performed and required no service.

Our current coach was provided with new Interstate when we bought it and I just pulled them out in 2009 because they hit five years. I never had problems. I went back to Delco 1150. I think I have about $450 in the set of four and that includes all taxes.

Do not use AGM's for the chassis!

Tom,Lifeline has a special battery for cranking and a different one for the house,Newell has used the craking one for several years with great success.Tell us why not.

I can easily tell you why. Gel and AGM batteries cannot handle heat. On my first coach the house batteries were located in a pair of racks above the chassis batteries. At that time gel cell batteries were all the rage and Interstate was willing to sell me a set through their distributor and monitor my performance.

As a result I got to talk with not only the distributor, but the engineers and technicians at Johnson Controls who makes Interstate. The gell cell batteries kept failing and when we monitored the temps we found they were in excess of 130 often. As it turns out gel and AGM batteries do not have a liquid unlike the lead acid batteries, that circulates and helps disipate the heat. The AGM and gel batteries just get too hot and either vent or get internal bubbles that compromise their performance.

I have seen some coaches with AGM for the chassis batteries, but I think it is more luck than anything else that keeps them working acceptably. If they are positioned where they get good air flow and are not directly exposed to engine heat they may work, but with the maintenance free Delco and Interstate batteries what is the advantage? It certainly isn't price.