Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 weight oil getting impossible to find

Default 40 weight oil getting impossible to find

Does any one know of a reliable source, not NAPA or Advanced Auto Parts. Rotela has removed 40 weight from catalog.

Is there another oil I can use in 1991 8V92?

Thank you Sawdust I will have to start buying this by a case.

sawdust_128 Guest

You are welcome Lloyd.

Here is contact info for Mobil and you can ask about local stocking resellers or those who will ship a case.

Exxon Mobil Corporation
    3225 Gallows Road
    Fairfax, VA 22037
    1-800-ASK MOBIL (275-6624)

I'm getting the 1300 Super at Walmart. It has been on sale for a while at $9.50/gal

Good Luck

P.S. Check the truck stop stores. I've sen it there as well.

Before buying any oil I would make absolutely certain it specifically stated on the container that it meets the Detroit spec for your coach.

Actually there is little reason to buy and carry a lot of oil to drag around as long as you carry a list of Detroit Diesel shops and can plan to visit those that are convenient for your travels. They still maintain a whole lot of the two cycle engines that were the mainstay of large marine and stationary uses. Because of that they will always have the correct oil. What you are encountering however is the fact there are very few 2 cycle Detroits in service for over the road trucks having long ago been replaced by the four cycle Series 50 and 60 engines. So as the demand for that oil has all but disappeared at truck stops, so has the oil products. It is the commercial operators who the truck stops cater to so we cannot expect to find straight 40 weight oil meeting the spec except in areas where there are still a lot of 2 cycle engines in service.

If I am not mistaken Mobil 1240 was the preferred oil at one time and Mobil 1300 is the 15W40 oil that is suitable for Series 60, but not two cycle engines.

Lloyd,

If your going to be in Maine for the Lobsta thing, I can bring you as much Rotella 40 wt as you need. No problem getting here locally, it's stocked at the fuel and oil distributor.

Thanks everyone. I found a place in Indianapolis to get some and we are heading there Sunday. I will have to start going to more Detroit shops, because Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced, and Walmart are not stocking straight 40 anymore, at least not at the stores we visited. Thanks for all the contact info.

Tom I hoe to have the leak fixed before Maine. Thanks for the offer.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd&pamela View Post
    Thanks everyone. I found a place in Indianapolis to get some and we are heading there Sunday. I will have to start going to more Detroit shops, because Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced, and Walmart are not stocking straight 40 anymore, at least not at the stores we visited. Thanks for all the contact info.

Tom I hope to have the leak fixed before Maine. Thanks for the offer.
    How are you making out with the oil leak, Lloyd, that wouldn't be any fun. Does your toad get all oily?

How bad is the leak and do you have any ideas where it is? How much oil do you have to carry.

Also wondering how your Webasto is doing, making hot water?

JIM

After a few days in Chicago with Joe and his friend Craig, Detroit Diesel mechanic, we or really they solved the oil leaks. The blower gasket was petrified and several others were in disrepair. After pulling the turbo and blower we discovered that the blower was fine but the turbo was wobbling too much so we replaced it (expensive). Pulled the smaller front pulley and replaced the seal there also. After two days of sleeping on the sofa because the bedroom was dismantled to access the back of the engine, we are leak free and enjoyed sleeping last night back on our wonderful bed.

Joe and Craig did a great job and despite a few hours of working in the rain and two nights working under work lights we enjoyed seeing Joe and Deb again and spending time together.

We also trouble shot the Webasto and finally go it to blow 126 degrees rather than the 84 that Prevost had a few days earlier.

We replaced the dead 12 volt alternator (not as expensive as a turbo) and today on the four hour drive to Ann Arbor the house batteries stayed at 12.9 volts for the first time since we have owned the bus.

I replaced the blender motor that finally died (too many Margaritas) and bought a new CB I need to install as soon as I buy a new antenna.

Oil problem solved so now I have a case of oil in the bay for the next service in 5000 miles.

Thumbs up

Happy days for you, Joe comes through again with a timely solution.

It's a good thing you were in that part of the country, many places you have been could have been a disaster.

Too bad that Prevost couldn't solve the Webasto problem, not good when you have to pay twice for the same repair.

You are now set for worry free miles and will be able to enjoy the travel much more.

JIM

Lloyd,

What did you wind up doing to the Aqua Hot to get the temp up above 126 degrees?

I'd like to know what parts you replaced so that I can keep them in stock.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot