Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shore Power Cord (Plug)

Default Shore Power Cord (Plug)

Good morning all. I thought there had been a posting recently about replacing/repairing a shore power cord, but couldn't find the post. I had my center (ground) post on the end of my power cord break off the last time I unplugged from the surge protector. My question is two part. Not being an electrician, is it OK to continue to use, as is, in conjunction with the surge protector until I can get repaired/replaced and secondly, where is the best place to go to either repair or replace the cord? Is there an exchange program where I could get a refurbished cord and replace myself?

I know somebody just went through this but I can't remember who. Let me hear from you.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Tony,

It is possible to get a replacement plug end. I had to replace one and was able to get the Marinco plug at a West Marine store. I don't know if they are in your area or not. Other marine companies may also be able to provide the plug. Lloyd had a wire come loose from the terminal in the shore cord or Marinco socket on the side of the coach.

Electrical supply houses are also a possible source for a replacement plug.

If it were me, I would not use that shore cord until I got the replacement plug installed. You need a ground!
    Last edited by Will Garner; 05-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.

DO NOT USE THE SHORE POWER CORD WITHOUT A GROUND.

You can replace the plug. I haven't done a search to see where all the sources are, but I would start at WW Grainger.

Tony,

Here is a link to Marinco. You can do a search for the closest dealer by clicking the "Where to Buy" button in the lower left corner of the page.

Happy hunting.

http://www.marinco.com/product/50a-rv-replacement-plug

Tony,

In case you want to replace both ends of your shore cable, here is the link for the female connector into the coach outlet.

http://www.marinco.com/product/50a-1...male-connector

Tony,

You can order them through Camping World at http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ent-plugs/5810 or PPL in Houston. I carry a spare in the bus. You should periodically check the connections in the plug as they tend to loosen over time.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

I purchased one at Lowes,I think that only the largest stores will have them.

Loc, I am assuming that the dimension of the plug are sufficient that it will easily fit into the enclosure when rolled up. My current male plug end is molded onto the cord, so there is no way to check the connections.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony,

With the Camping World plug the only thing that may be an issue is the handle. That is plastic and can be cut off if necessary. Mine still fits through the small round enclosure but it is tighter. I looked several places and it was the only one I could find. The local HD or Lowes were no help.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

That was my experience at HD and Lowes as well. Nothing that would work. Thanks.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4