Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Bound

I see Ken's collapsible ladder came in handy for something other than getting on top of the bus. That POG sign looks nice so high on that post. Keep the pictures coming.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Okay you guys, how about an update on how the Alaska bound POG members are doing? How has the trip been so far? Where are you guys at? Are you having a good time? ( I HOPE so)

You can follow Ken and Tuga's trip here .... http://www.mytripjournal.com/WhereIsTheBus-2010, complete pictures and commentary.

Ray,
    Thanks for the link to their "pictures"

Quote Originally Posted by ajducote View Post
    Okay you guys, how about an update on how the Alaska bound POG members are doing? How has the trip been so far? Where are you guys at? Are you having a good time? ( I HOPE so)
    Andre,

The trip is going great! We are in Dawson City, Yukon tonight and tomorrow night. We will be in Tok, Alaska on Monday. Canada is BIG!!! We have traveled over 4,000 miles and aren't in Alaska yet!

Ken is the consumate trip planner; this guy is good. We have soaked in Liard Hot Springs, caught fish in Swift River (aka Mosquito River) and seen some beautiful scenery. Can't wait to get to Fairbanks, Denali NP, and Keinia Pennisula to do some halibut fishing.

Our rigs are holding up good. This is rough terrain; stretches of gravel road that is under construction. Ken has had 2 rock hits on his windshield so far; I guess I'm due for one soon. Diesel prices aren't too bad; the last price we paid was $1.12/litre or $4.48/gallon. Muncho Lake had a diesel price of $6.80/gallon but we both had plenty of fuel so we waited and purchased some down the road.

We have seen bear, mountain goats, sheep, bison, & porcupines while driving down the hiway. I don't find the bugs or mosquitoes bad but Karen does. I guess she is sweeter than I am.

Before I left home I thought that this would be the trip of a lifetime and it is turning out to be just that!

Having a blast!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Sounds great! I sure wish I could take that trip. Have enough fun for all of us. Our trip is going well We spent all day Saturday site seeing in Santa Fe. Say hi to the group for us.

Safe Travels

kjkt2..jpgkjkt3..jpgMore great photos from the Alaska crew!

kjkt1..jpg

It looks like you guys are having a great time. How's the roads and the weather? Keep posting and enjoy the ride.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Hi Gary,

We are having a great time. The roads are really good; 2 lane and you can drive about 60 mph most of the time. The only road that was bad was "Top of the World" highway; it runs from Dawson City to Chicken. It is dirt/gravel and is narrow and has a lot of curves. Our coaches were filthly dirty when we finished the 70+ miles of dirt and gravel. We drove it in the rain and at times couldn't see because we were in the clouds. Let's just say that this road is less than ideal.

Tonight we are in Fairbanks at the River's Edge RV park. We sat out on the river in lawn chairs and enjoyed the view. Ken & Janet are going to Barrow tomorrow - the high temp will be 37 degrees. Louise and I are going to pass on this one; we like the 65 degree temps here in Fairbanks.

It take some getting used to only covering 200 miles a day, but to be perfectly truthful it is kind of nice. We stop to see things along the way like a meat market that makes sausage out of elk, buffalo, and any other kind of meat that you could want. Ken knows alot of neat places to stop and see.

We'll keep posting.

In Tok, AK we heard a fellow play guitar and sing songs about Alaska. It was right there in the campground and was kind of cool.

The only downside is there is no satellite TV. We have an Apple TV so we have something to watch. It was a gift from a good friend of mine before we left home. It has proved to be a Godsend; in Canada and Alaska there is no reception in most areas. The CG have cable TV, but as you know there is rarely anythng good on.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Tuga, I wonder if you taught them how to make Buffalo Boudin at the sausage place. Might start a new food item. Keep having a great time, and keep posting during your trip.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas