Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've Been Pricing Batteries

All battery manufacturers recommend 50% discharge as the maximum discharge,most converters want to exceed this so that they do not disturb the elderly sleeping camping population.I would verify that your trace inverters are set to start the generator at 23.6 volts.If not you will replace the batteries prematurely again.

Born and raised in NJ..Still live there..

Hi Mark & Kristi,
    I wonder why those batteries needed replacement sooo soon on a 2 yr. old Coach...I wonder if maybe they went bad because of the engine not being started often enough or any use at all being put on them...Only two years old and needing replacement would surely do me in...Seems the dealer should have replaced them...before the sale...

Do you have a logical reason for this having happened to Mark, Jon...I would like to hear your input... Marks explanation sent red flags up for me...I know Don Y. didn't do much camping with mine but he did say he started it regularly...and I have every reason to believe him...

Quote "I think that since our coach sat for so long at the dealer prior to our purchase, it was hard on the batteries" Unquote.

Hugs Always Viv...
    Journey One's Cruiser

Vivian: They likely went bad because the coach, while carrying a 2008 model year title, is a 2006 chassis completed in early 2007 and sat at a dealers lot until October os 2009. I am sure that it was not looked after as well as it should have, and in fact, was dead (house side) twice while we were looking at it / picking it up. That plus the leaking, made the decision easy to replace them.

I have a working knowledge of the systems on the coach, and have similar ones on our boat, so this is nothing out of the ordinary for me. From reading your posts, I would suggest getting a professional to look at you bus to check out the inverter(s) and the rest of the system. It will pay dividends for you as you will then know for sure what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    All battery manufacturers recommend 50% discharge as the maximum discharge,most converters want to exceed this so that they do not disturb the elderly sleeping camping population.I would verify that your trace inverters are set to start the generator at 23.6 volts.If not you will replace the batteries prematurely again.
    The inverters are setup correctly and working as they should. That was not the case when we got the coach...it had not been setup completely and had been dead several times I am sure. I don't think I will have to do this again for a long time!

The worst thing that can be done to batteries is to allow them to become deeply discharged. You might just as well kiss them goodbye.

Mark is absolutely correct in that if they were not maintained in a fully charged condition their life was compromised.

There appears to be a mistaken impression that starting a coach and running it for a half hour or so is going to keep the batteries charged. Our batteries when charged should go through a three stage charging process, bulk, absorption, and float. To extend their life, initiate the charge process before they drop below a 50% discharge as Jack points out.

But no matter how well batteries are maintained they have a life span and 5 or 6 years is about what can be expected. Some have kept batteries longer than that, but as batteries age their performace falls off and a set that may have lasted all night long dry camping may not even make it halfway through the night.

Also it needs to be understood that the house batteries are typically always going to have charging current except when dry camping. The inverters, when on generator or shore power are chargers and do a good job of maintaining a battery. If power to the inverters is turned off when parked then it is incumbant on the owner to monitor battery voltage and turn on the inverters when voltage drops to 12.25, or 24.5 volts or thereabouts.

I just found House Batteries for an unbelieveable price...what say you everyone...before I buy...
    Here is where I found them...
    http://www.factoriesonline.com/Produ...spx?id=5767609
    Price: $1238.88 and I've been getting prices for between 4 and over 500. each ...
    Hugs Viv..

They may be fine. I would compare the spec to the Lifeline spec for the same size batteries and to the batteries now in the coach. Where are they made and how will warranty service be handled? What is the shipping cost and the cost of others with shipping? Any sales taxes due?

As a proponent of Chinese tires I have no objection to trying off-name brands, but the product has to at least be the equivalent or better.

Okay Jon,
    I'll follow thru' and try to find out all...I'll call them in the A.M.
    Hugs Viv...