Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've Been Pricing Batteries

The GPL-4DA is the correct Lifeline battery - see this post for contact info

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...feline-Contact

Steve,

On coaches of the vintage of Viv's coach a single gear driven alternator was mounted on the front (actually the rear) of the engine over the bell housing. It supplied power to the house batteries via the equalizers. Generally there were two equalizers of 50 amp capacity at the time. Instead of a single 100 amp isolator that is common on coaches today. The house battery circuit was isolated from the alternator or chassis batteries via a large relay that had the circuit normally open, but would close upon power output from the alternator.

Some converters added more battery equalizers than those supplied by Prevost.

Born and raised in NJ..Still live there..

Yes Steve I do have EMS...Heart Energy Management Systems...
    Here is a Photo of the name...
    http://sports.webshots.com/photo/219...34860664EpqbiR
    Why are you suggesting I should do the below asap...when the coach has been working fine...I'm afraid I'd be looking for troubles I don't even have yet ...Whew...

Replacing 5 yr. old House Batteries I understand but making changes worries me...Even the fellow who came here and could replace the batteries for 400 plus each but installing them included.........did things that worried me...switching a few switches on the inverter back and forth...He acted like he was familiar with it but he was real young...I guess the young do catch on faster when their parents are running a battery business only since before he was even born...It's his grandfather Jack who owns Lee Batteries on Rt. 70, in Manasquan, NJ...two miles from my house...Maybe I should let him put them in...with some good warranty...

I've written Lifeline and waiting for a reply...hopefully they deal with Lee...smile...I should be so lucky.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hugs Viv...
    Stop scaring me Steve...I scare easily enough... smile....
    The wires going into the front of your inverters must be redone as soon as possible - they should have connectors crimped on them and they should be installed under the front cover of the inverter. Bare electrical wires can short and cause a fire!!

Viv,

You have me confused. In your post above you talk about someone messing with switches on the inverter.

I understand you had the chassis batteries replaced. They have nothing to do with the inverter so I hope the guy wasn't monkeying around with the inverter when he replaced them. That would suggest the guy really was in over his head.

If the guy came to work on something else, such as your inverters, alarms go off because nobody should move a few switches back and forth unless they had a real good reason, had the operator's manual, and there was a problem related to the inverters. If there is an inverter problem the chances are real good moving a few switches back and forth is a waste of time and your money. At least tell us he actually put a voltmeter on the batteries prior to monkeying around.

You should be very scared. Especially if you plan on using people that have not worked on Prevost conversions. So far I am undewhelmed by those who have taken your money.

Hi Jon,
    The fellow who touched the Inverter was the same one from Lee Batteries who brought his meter here and tested my House Batteries when I told him My advisers from POG had told me this should be done before I would be able to make up my mind if I had to buy batteries for the House right now...One measured in the red on his meter but the rest all measured in the green...and it was then he said I should replace them all...not just the one ...same as you have said...Then I went to the pricing subject...and his price was way over 400...but included installation by him...He turned off several items on the inverter...the microwave, and others...since I'm not using them at home, he said..
    I'm trying to remember all that happened but it's hard...I'm trying to remember correct replacement numbers for what I need...the dates being the same on all and all bring from the same manu. at the same time...soooo much...to remember...trying so hard not to make mistakes...

Now a whole new thing is happening...

I spoke to Jason at Lifeline...the sale they had last year for POG members at 380.00 each including shipping is off...batteries from them now cost way over 500. each...
    He gave me a place called Takris on Rt. 34 by Allaire Airport...is where he suggested I go...1-888-483-5747...Michelle and Chris are there..Chris said to bring the coach to his place and he can equalize the House Batteries .......What say you to that...??? I haven't heard anything about that until him...
    So this is where I am now...Deciding if I should take the coach there...?? Batteries from Chris are over 500 too...

I wish I could get thru' the summer as I am...if I put new batteries now I will probably have to spend most of the summer home...

Hugs Always Viv...

Viv,

I am shooting from the lip here, having never seen your coach or put a meter or battery tester on it. Here is my opinion for what it is worth.

Since one battery tested bad, it is a given that your house batteries are nearing the end of their life. But if the other's remained good then my first suggestion is one that you should take very seriously. Disconnect the bad battery ASAP. That will leave you with less capacity, but you will be able to get some use out of the remaining batteries. Leaving a bad battery in the set impacts the remaining good batteries. When you are on shore power, the appliances are not running off your batteries. When you are driving the engine alternator is maintaining the charge in your batteries. The only time your batteries are being used is when you have shut off the engine and the generator is not running and you are not connected to shore power.

As to equalizing the batteries your inverter should be able to do that. Having said that however at this point in the life of your batteries I would not anticipate a measurable improvement in the batteries. Your inverter operating manual should tell how to equalize the batteries. If you do not have the instructions and the battery folks will not unfairly priced doing it, it may give enough new life to get you down to FL this winter. At that point you really should consider new batteries.

As to the cost, unfortunately that is the price of admission to Prevost Land. All owners, apart from routine maintenance like oil changes and lubrication we are all faced with buying new batteries every 5 or 6 years, new tires around the same time interval (regardless of tread depth) and we still have to recognize brake chambers, air bags, suspension valves, shocks, etc. all age out also and need regular replacement. The good news is your batteries may only last 5 or 6 years, but when you consider that is only $33 per month that isn't bad.

Forget all this battery stuff.... This whole thing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Viv - Take your bus to Clearwater and let Ben, Rick and the boys sort out your problems properly.

I've been here and read everything...I think I better just take my bus for a ride...and see if I can camp in it for a couple of days...try sorting all this out and come up with a plan...I didn't plan on going to Fl. this winter after the misery there last winter and the two years before in my Dolphin...
    I really need a break and my bus isn't saying I can't have it...at least not yet...so I'm leaning toward driving down to a S.Jersey CG...for a first nite in my Bus since I got back from Ga/Fl in Jan...Sure wish somebody from POG could join me...to talk busses...smile...
    Hugs Always Viv...
    88 Prevo Le Mirage XL

Viv,

Before you do that get those batteries sorted out and disconnect the house batteries that test bad. It is the bad batteries that mess up the good ones, and a bad battery can make you think you have an inverter problem.

I haven't had an issue with AGM, but when I had gel batteries I had one pop open. It made enough of a noise to get my attention. You don't need surprises like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

I haven't had an issue with AGM, but when I had gel batteries I had one pop open. It made enough of a noise to get my attention. You don't need surprises like that.
    I just had all 6 of my 8-D Lifelines and both of my smaller Lifelines that are for starting the generator replaced at Millennium Coach last Wednesday. I had either 1 or 2 leakers, we were not able to determine for sure, but it appeared that 1 of the 8-D's and one of the Generator batteries may have been leaking. I didn't trust the 8-d's any longer because they seemed to drop voltage quickly, and I did have a couple of generator starting issues so I decided to start with a clean slate. I think that since our coach sat for so long at the dealer prior to our purchase, it was hard on the batteries. We replaced the 8-D's with Lifelines again, but the smaller AGM's for the generator starter had to come from elsewhere as they did not have the proper size in a Lifeline. I shouldn't have to worry about batteries for a long time now!