Thread: XL II steering

Default XL II steering

I am in the process of trading up from a 1997 40 foot Royale to a 2001 XLII 45 Liberty. I seems to be a great coach, but I have some concerns about the steering at highway speeds. I recently had it out for my first drive on a long straight highway (alligator alley in Florida) and I notice that it seemed like I was having to move the wheel a few degrees back and forth to keep it straight. It seemed as though there was small null area in the center of the steering that I would have to go thru before there was any response. This meant that at least 90% of the time the wheel was moving. It seems that the 1997 Royale with its solid front axel in this situation would hold steady. The people at Liberty have checked this problem by test driving and by examination of steering components can find no problem. Has anyone else experienced the same situation or know if this is just normal. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Buzz - I have this same characteristic with my 1996 ('95 chassis) XLV so I don't think it's a solid axle vs. IFS issue. I've noticed that I am constantly making small adjustments with the steering wheel to stay centered in my lane. Hopefully someone can steer us in the right direction (pun intended) to get to the bottom of this anomaly.

If everything checks out, alignment, tire condition, component integrity and condition then it is possible your steering gear needs to be tweaked a little.

This is not to be taken lightly and don't be over zealous in the adjustment which is something like turning the screw in the steering gear in (ONE TIME) some small amount as specified in the Prevost service manual, something like 1/8 or 1/4 turn.

If you crank the screw down too hard you may be buying a new steering gear. I recommend going to a professional that will stand behind his work.

JIM

php6AmZ8MPM..jpg The screwdriver is pointing to the screw and lock nut.

Lightbulb

Road condition can also come into play. Try different roads before condemning the bus.

It could also be the way you sit at the wheel. An old bus driver told me to set everything up position wise so that you are comfortable with your arms positioned on the arm rest in such a way that you will be driving with finger movement, not arm movement.
    I hope that makes sense and you understand what I mean.

JIM

I would start with a good inspection of the front suspension with emphasis on the integrity of the bushings. I say that based on the reported issues with failed bushings.

Assuming that checks out I would have the bus aligned. A small difference in the caster or toe in can have a big impact.

Lastly (or maybe first) I would give the tires a close inspection. Tires tell a lot and just running your hand over them for any unusual wear pattern often is the first sign of something out of adjustment or going wrong.

I don't think it is an IFS versus straight axle issue as much as something needs attention.

Thanks for the replies.
    The tires are all new Michelins, bushings and other components have been checked by Liberty, alignment and tire shaving were done when the tires were installed (10 days ago) and again today (I will drive it again Sunday). I have to be in Jacksonville later in the month and will have Prevost check it out if it persists.
    It could be that I'm being too concerned over what may be a normal thing, but don't think so.

I had one like that,it needed tag aligned,drive aligned,front castor adjusted,front camber adjusted, front toe adjusted,when it was all done at Prevost in Nashville it drove perfect.It was a 2001 Marathon and had never been aligned,it came from Prevost that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    The tires are all new Michelins, bushings and other components have been checked by Liberty, alignment and tire shaving were done when the tires were installed (10 days ago) and again today (I will drive it again Sunday). I have to be in Jacksonville later in the month and will have Prevost check it out if it persists.
    It could be that I'm being too concerned over what may be a normal thing, but don't think so.
    Is shaving required?

Hello David, I would careful shaving a tire, only after a couple hundred miles and after remount and rebalance.
    I would rather think there is a weight issue RF or LF maybe RF and LR, be only my thoughts.