Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changing Antifreeze

I think this group on average is significantly better informed than the average service customer, and as POG continues to grow and its members continue to share knowledge we are seeing things at service facilities that have gone unnoticed by most customers.

I don't know if the problem is lack of education, lack of caring, lack of pride, or just plain stupidity, but I think the message to all of us is clear. We are the last defense of our coaches against poor quality service. I just bought a truck to play with and eventually sell. In going over it I thought I recognized what was a fuel filter part number on the coolant system. I verified it and thats exactly what it was. What's worse is the coolant conditioning filter was where the secondary fuel filter should have been. Some service professional clearly screwed up by reversing two filters that should never have been reversed. I think that mistake qualifies in the stupid category.

I believe the answer to the issue of poor quality service for those who choose to take their coaches in for service is to strongly support as a group those businesses that do it right. Over the years we have had members experience some really crappy quality or outrageous priced service. Just like we have a members contact list, maybe we should create a list of service companies that are fair priced, take pride in the work, and stand behind their work. I would like to see a list of those who are lousy service providers, but I think we could get in trouble unless we had proof, such as Harry Hoppe's experience with a destroyed axle. Steve's example of professionals that get testy when a civilian questions them is very typical of the intimidation a lot of owners experience and they consider that expertise, when in fact it is wrongly justified defensiveness. A lot of the so called professionals cannot accept the fact that others may know what they know.

Many posts have been made praising certain facilities, but I often wonder if the praise was because the owner literally watched like a hawk and saw and understood how the work was performed, or if the owner was pleased because the service manager had a nice smile and presented a bill that was a few bucks less than expected. I don't think we should lavish praise on people for doing their job, although in these times when the professionals can't even do the simple tasks, it does get us giddy with joy when someone actually does a job properly.

Jon,

You make several good points. I would be very interested in a list of "POG Approved" service facilities. although I'm not sure what purely objective standard that could be used. Maybe it doesn't even have to be purely objective. This rating could be "earned" via comments from POG members based on their documented experiences.

For me one of the greatest challenges is determining who to trust working on my bus. So far, it's a pretty short list.

And, I guess "trust" is the operative word. Trust to do no harm, trust to do the job correctly at a fair price and trust to make things right when something goes wrong, because something can always go wrong for even the best technician at the best facilities.

Jon, Your last sentence is sooo true and a result of today's economy, the market and work ethics.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jeff Bayley Guest

I'm in the process of reading this entire thread but skipped to the end to put this post.

How do I know if my Aqua Hot is tied into my main coolant ? I'm about to change the coolant over here at Oreen Zook's shop (who has been so very hospitable and kind to us). I was told by someone if I had Aqua Hot (instead of Wabasco) that it probabley wasn't tied in. I have no owners manual for the coach by the way. 97 Royale if anyone has one they're willing to copy for us. The Aqua Hot has it's own resevoir so that tells me that it's on it's own system pretty much. I guess another way would be to use the test strips owen has here before we do it to see if they two coolants measure out different. But with it's own resevoir I can't see how it can be anything else but independent.

I'm just planning on letting what ever will drain out easy enough drain and refilling with the standard DD coolant. Not the Extended Life. If the Aqua Hot isn't tied in, I'm looking at about a 15 gallon capacity is that right ? So since it's not all going to drop out, having 7 gallons of concentrated coolant on hand should be more than enough right ? Dale has been helping me by email also and already informed me I need to add some more after I drive a few miles so I'll leave here with some extra. I need to run to the store and get 7 gallons of distilled water also instead of dilluting it with tap water. Right again ? Woa. If I get them all that's like 4 or 5 things I got right. Bonus round: The bus has 8 tires right ?

Stay tuned for my post under the True Confessions subheading. I'll detail in step by step how to change out a perfectly good mechanical fuel pump on the generator. Sounds easy doesn't it ? It's not. It takes a lot of stupidity to do what I did and most of you just aren't capable of that.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 06-16-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Jeff,

I have a 99 Royale with Aqua Hot and it is tied into the engine coolant. Do you have a "heat exchanger" button on your dash? Can you heat your hot water while going don the road without turing on the Aqua Hot? If the answer to either question is yes, then engine coolant heats the water in the Aqua Hot tank. Hope that all makes sense.

Jeff,

The Aquahot tank is for the Aquahot only. You probably have a loop from the engine coolant that heats the antifreeze in the AH tank. Draining the engine wil not drain the AH

John
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Jeff Bayley Guest

Andre- Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have the Heat Exchanger button on the dash although it isn't ligting up (checking the bulb in just a minute). I don't understand the reason for the seperate resovoir on the Aqua Hot. Does that mean if my engine coolant is low that I can top it off though the Aqua Hot if I wanted to ? I just checked to see that the electric switch to my hot water has been off all night. I could go ahead and bleed off any residual hot water, then turn the engine on and let it come up to operating temperature and go down and feel the Aqua Hot hoses and see if the water has warmed back up again but it sounds like your know the answer pretty much by virtue of the Heat Exchanger button on the dash.

Jeff,
    I don't understand the reason for the seperate resovoir on the Aqua Hot. Does that mean if my engine coolant is low that I can top it off though the Aqua Hot if I wanted to ?

If you mean the small plastic over flow bottle near the Aqua Hot, That is only for the Aqua Hot to top off the hot water tank in the Aqua Hot. It is suppose to have "boiler safe" antifreeze in it.

The engine coolant runs thru a coil inside the Aqua Hot and does not mix with the water inside the Aqua Hot tank. Or at least that is how I understand it.

Jeff Bayley Guest

So I guess I'm just going to drain what ever I can out the radiator drain plug and then refill and at worst I get the fluid half replaced. Do it again in 6 months maybe. I do have PDF's of both the Aqua Hot Owners Manual and Service Manual and neither of them have a section in the Table of Contents on changing the anti-freeze so I'm throwing the towel in on that for today. Probabley some more POG'ers can chime in later when they check this thread. I have to get into the shop and get this done and get back to NYC for a deal. I can redo the fluid again more propoerly later. But this coolant has 5 years and 50,000 miles on it and I don't want another blown engine so I'm going to dump what comes out and refill it before I regret prograstinating on it. If I did want to take a stab at getting some of the integrated fluid out should I run the Heat Exhanger after draining the coolant from the main engine radiator with the engine on for 30 seconds or a minute (while monitoring the engine temp of course so I as not to overheat). I can either jump the low coolant sensor with a paper clip or just hit the override switch to run it for a minute. I think others have disconnected extra hoses to get all drained and there very well may be a good reason for that instead of what I suggest. For one thing, maybe it's bad for the Aqua Hot to be running or cyclining or the heat exhanger with no coolant in it.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 06-16-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Jeff,

This is the link to Aqua Hot manuals.

http://www.hydro-hot.com/b2c/ecom/ec...edManuals.aspx