Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greener than Green newbies need some help please!

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

Red face Greener than Green newbies need some help please!

Some of you may recall that we purchased a 2001 Vantare D/S from Liberty in November. So far the experience has been over the top wonderful. Liberty went out of their way to make sure all was in like new order prior to us leaving the state.

After arriving home in Texas we found it necessary to make a trip to Prevost Fort Worth for an aux air leak....this was quickly fixed. Upon close inspection the tech determined that the air bag which keeps the engine belts taught needed to be changed....and so it was.

We are now home....north west of San Antonio, and have discovered that the air bag is losing air, causing the belts to sag. We have another month of "down time" before heading for Colorado for the summer, and would like to resolve this issue before leaving. Neither of us are skilled mechanics. We were told by a tech over the phone to "replace the check valve".....only problem is, we don't know where the check valve is or what it even looks like. duh! Feeling a little embarrassed to be writing this, but we are hoping for a little help troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks a bunch!!

jill

Orren Zook Guest

Wayne,

On my Liberty there is an adjustable pressure regulator mounted over the rear engine doors that allows the pressure to be easily changed on that little bag. I'll try to get a picture posted for you in a little while.

Jill, The first question I have is to verify when the engine is running the belts are tight. Start the bus, get the air pressures up to normal and shut off the bus. Are the belts tight, and if so, how long does it take for them to become loose. Please don't stick your hands in there it the engine is running.

Once you answer that question we can go from there.

Orren is correct, but one problem is you don't want to mess with the adjustment if the pressure is correct. There is a tire valve up there near the regulator. Chack that with a tire pressure gauge right after shutting off the engine and let us know what that pressure is. I have to look it up, but I think it needs to be 50 to 60 PSI (does anyone know off the top of their head?).

Montell, Texas....40 miles north of Uvalde which is 80 miles west of San Antonio

Thank you Jon and Orren for your quick responses and suggestions.
    Right now, it is raining so we won't be going out to do any trouble shooting until the weather improves.
    Jon, I remember seeing the suggested PSI on the knob near the pressure valve....you are correct, it's either 50 or 55.
    So, I'll be getting back to you soon with the info you asked for.
    Thanks again, really appreciate your help.
    jill

BTW, your description "greener than green newbies" suggests you think you are somehow not quite the equal of the members of this asylum. Actually I am not aware of any members of this collection of misfits who were born with the knowledge of these buses, or somehow magically come into possession of the skills and knowledge we all develop over time. Every one of us has learned these buses over time, and most of us have learned the lessons the hard way through the school of hard knocks.

So welcome to the asylum we call POG where you will never lack for answers to your questions, and on certain rare occasions some of those answers may actually be correct. If we don't know the answers we are not shy about making them up.

I'm only half kidding. You just have to figure out which half.

BTW, you don't have sheep down there in Texas do you? Some of the inmates on this forum are a little off level, about a half bubble to be exact and you need to keep your sheep safe and out of sight.

Jon, LOL....we DO have sheep, and despite the pouring rain I have just secured them well out of site...safe and sound from those inmates you refer to....thanks for the heads up!! We also have goats, 2 donkeys and a llama.

Thanks also for your encouraging words regarding the bus learning curve...we are both good listeners and quick learners so we hope to improve on our bus skills as time passes.
    Thanks again....have a good evening.

I believe 50 psi is the number. Also try turning the key to the "on" position without starting the engine. This should supply air to the belt tensioner air bag. I usually turn on the key and wait 10 seconds before turning the key all the way to start. This allows the belts to become tight before the engine throws them off into the radiator.

I will bet that after shutting down the engine my belts are loose within a matter of a few hours.

Have fun........

Terry, as soon as we read this post we ran out the door with fingers crossed!
    Unfortunately, turning the key to the "on" position does not work on our bus. It did nothing...bummer.
    Thanks for the idea though.

my belts are always loose after sitting overnight. I turn the Aux. Air Comp on for about 3 or 4 minutes and the belts tighten up before cranking the engine. Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Wayne,

You got all kinds of good suggestions, but my question is are you sure the belt bellows is the leaking source or is the aux system leaking down causing the belts to go slack? You said the air bag is losing air. Is that the same little air bag you had repaired and how do you know it's the leak source? Can you hear air leaking with the engine off or are you just thinking it is the cause because the belts go slack? You have many aux air sources and without the aux compressor running, it's pretty common to lose aux air and in some cases a very short time.

The XL2's may have a check valve to keep air in the bellows if the aux goes down, I'm not sure. I installed a check valve in an XL for that reason and as the aux air was depleted, the belt bellows stayed inflated.