Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planes and Prevost

ken&ellen Guest

Default Planes and Prevost

It is apparent to me that Prevost buses are similar to aircraft in that they have many systems. After looking through the membership at Prevost-Stuff I was impressed at the number of pilots ( both commercial & private ) and aircraft owners that are part of our ranks. I no longer fly, but I spend hours fixing, adjusting, and cleaning my Liberty......just as I did with my Mooney all the years I flew her.

I have chatted with Jon about how I thought airplane ownership would be good experience for owning a Prevost. Wrong. The airplane is easier to deal with and at this point cheaper to maintain

However, just like the plane, the coach has suffered more from my lack of experience than anything else. But I think the learning curve is flattening out. And since I keep my coach at the airport, what better way to spend the weekend than surrounded by your favorite "stuff". And since our airport is a large general aviation mecca with absolutely no fences or gestapo security, folks constantly come by to hang out. I just need to figure out how Jeff and Jon sweet talk them into the Huck Finn mode and they start polishing their coach for them..........

Default Reality Check

Jerry,

There are guys (and gals) out there that believe some of what we write so we have to be careful.

Here are some things I think I have learned.

All Prevost coaches depreciate, and the amount is proportional to the age. Newer equals more depreciation, and older equals less.

Planes in the past have appreciated, but with the economy, fuel prices, TFRs and some other factors that might no longer be true. They may be holding their value however.

Prevost coaches (once in good working condition) take very little money to maintain. Planes (even in good working condition) take a lot of money to maintain. This is not information you share with your wife.

All kidding aside, neither are cheap, but because I find it less of a hassle to do my own work on the Prevost I find if I ignore depreciation the cost of the bus is about 1/5th of what I spend annually on the plane, but if I add back depreciation they come close. But they are only as alike as a hammer and saw. They are both tools and they do different things. If push comes to shove the planes are gone, and the bus stays.

Default The Prevost is easier

Jerry,

Once you get to know your Prevost you will do one of two things. You will trade up, or you will sit back and enjoy it, secure in the knowledge you are intimate with its systems.

A Prevost may originally seem overwhelming but it is actually a whole bunch of unrelated basic systems running down the road in lockstep to make your life a little more comfortable.

I have owned my plane 20 years and despite having a very good understanding of it, I still am at the mercy of the guys that sell me insurance, certify the IFR status, do the annuals, and write the ever more complex rules we all have to follow to fly in today's post 9/11 environment.

On the bus I just have to have license plates and have to remember to release the parking brakes on the Hummer.

Of course Jon is right with respect to the expense. There are only relative differences. The shop rate on the airplane is $55/hr and the shop rate on the coach is $80/hr. The airplane has appreciated from $75K when I bought it to almost $130K today, so he is also right about that, although a man that owns TWO airplanes and a Prevost is some kind of god

I only have to know two phone numbers for the airplane; the maintainence shop and the avionics shop. I hope to get the coach down to that many. And by law, I can only do minor repairs on the plane, but I can do anything Lew can do on the coach.

After owning the plane for 9 years, I would fly it anywhere in about any kind of weather and carry my wife and two girls in it. Even though the coach is more forgiving of mistakes, I am closing in on trusting it even more. Sorting out the electrical / AquaHot issues will prove that all out. My wife is way pissy when there is no hot water to shower in....

Hell, if having two planes makes me a god, last March we owned both planes and two Prevost coaches.

Talk about conspicuous consumption.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are the Man. So where is your avitar?

lewpopp Guest

Jerry... How the hell did "Lew" get into the pilots conversation? Have I come on as a master of repairs? Au contrare, my friend. I'm here to learn and I have never had anything but a balsa wood plane.

Jeffery Raymond Guest

Default Lew

Me neither.

I could never get the lead dealie on the nose of the plane to stay on with the toy gliders.

By the time you figure out where the wings should be and the tail it was broken.

Better we stay with buses, huh?

Lew, quite the opposite. I said I can do a few things on the plane, but could do anything you (Lew) could do on the coach, which could range from nothing if I choose to dismangling the whole thing, which could also be you...

The issue being what I am allowed to do by law.

Did you ever get out of repair hell and back on the road? Get those photos processed? For all you spent, a new digital camera would have been a rounding error............