Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shore Power Problem

kmuller Guest

Looks like we figuired it out. This morning I pulled the coach right up to the barn, plugged the 50 amp reel in and ....worked great. Unplugged the 50 and tried the 30 amp Marinco...worked great. There appears to be a voltage drop in the 50' of 30 amp extension I was using. Either in the cord itself, or the plug ends (most likely source). The lower voltage was not allowing the transfer switches to pull in hard, they were just sitting there chattering. The transfer switches on the liberty are pretty beefy and evidently very voltage sensitive.

As one of our marine tech's said, the coach doesn't know how long the cord is, only what the voltage is or isn't. This could happen regardless of what cord you are using if the wires were damaged or plug ends not up to snuff. With 5, 10, 15, 20 year old plugs and cords out there, it would be good to check them frequently for voltage drop.

Default Voltage Drop

Quote Originally Posted by kmuller
    Looks like we figuired it out. This morning I pulled the coach right up to the barn, plugged the 50 amp reel in and ....worked great. Unplugged the 50 and tried the 30 amp Marinco...worked great. There appears to be a voltage drop in the 50' of 30 amp extension I was using. Either in the cord itself, or the plug ends (most likely source). The lower voltage was not allowing the transfer switches to pull in hard, they were just sitting there chattering. The transfer switches on the liberty are pretty beefy and evidently very voltage sensitive.

As one of our marine tech's said, the coach doesn't know how long the cord is, only what the voltage is or isn't. This could happen regardless of what cord you are using if the wires were damaged or plug ends not up to snuff. With 5, 10, 15, 20 year old plugs and cords out there, it would be good to check them frequently for voltage drop.
    Good News. Voltage Drop can be hazardous to your Coaches Health.. 3% Voltage drop is all you want to allow. Make sure to have a digital volt meter with you if you have similar problems in the future. Low Voltage and High Voltage can damage electronic components in your Coach so You are lucky the transfer switch did not switch in.... Also, did I hear you say you had plugged a 50 amp Cord into a 30 Amp Cord? You must keep the same size wire all the way to the Recepticle. 50 amp= # 6awg, 30amp= #10 awg wire. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide