Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The fueling bath revisited

This is strictlyt an academic question, but is it possible peering down the fuel filler of a bus that pukes back at you 20% of the time might not be the best idea?

I do like the idea of the fix you described. It actually makes sense, and would prevent me from considering Harry's offer of his Royale.

I have quick reflexes and good hearing, if you listen you can hear it coming up at you!

On the one occasion I let my coach drown me, the sequence of events was as follows:

Fuel approaches the full point.

At the precise moment fuel reaches the full point, the flow divides, with less than 1% of the 10 GPM flow going into the tank, and more than 99% of the flow, immediately reversing itself, and flows upward through the filler neck at a velocity greater than the speed of sound.

Once fuel accelerates up the fill pipe, an invisible force urges me towards the nozzle, anticipating the tank is nearing the full point. The same force which impels me to step into the danger zone shuts down my hearing, so as the sound barrier is broken by the flowing fuel I have no knowledge danger is nanoseconds away.

At the exact time I lean forward to try to evaluate the tank level condition I am struck by a fuel spill slightly less than what might be contained by the average supertanker. Can you say Exxon Valdez?

As soon as my new jeans, my favorite Birkenstocks, and my wallet are totally soaked, and beyond redemption, the Flying J fuel nozzle decides to shut off further fuel flow.

My hearing is then restored, and the sound heard distinctly, is that of #2 dripping from me to the concrete surface, followed by an expletive. That occurs at the exact moment my reflexes tell me to jump back.

Default Directions on Fiiling 'Things not to do'

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg
    On the one occasion I let my coach drown me, the sequence of events was as follows:

Fuel approaches the full point.

At the precise moment fuel reaches the full point, the flow divides, with less than 1% of the 10 GPM flow going into the tank, and more than 99% of the flow, immediately reversing itself, and flows upward through the filler neck at a velocity greater than the speed of sound.

Once fuel accelerates up the fill pipe, an invisible force urges me towards the nozzle, anticipating the tank is nearing the full point. The same force which impels me to step into the danger zone shuts down my hearing, so as the sound barrier is broken by the flowing fuel I have no knowledge danger is nanoseconds away.

At the exact time I lean forward to try to evaluate the tank level condition I am struck by a fuel spill slightly less than what might be contained by the average supertanker. Can you say Exxon Valdez?

As soon as my new jeans, my favorite Birkenstocks, and my wallet are totally soaked, and beyond redemption, the Flying J fuel nozzle decides to shut off further fuel flow.

My hearing is then restored, and the sound heard distinctly, is that of #2 dripping from me to the concrete surface, followed by an expletive. That occurs at the exact moment my reflexes tell me to jump back.
    Sounds like you got a "handle on it'.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

lewpopp Guest

Coloradobus:

I can just hear Jon now after reading your comment on looking down the fill tube. Jeeze, would I like to hear his uncensored comments, but I'm sure the webmaster would block them.

I'm still laughing just picturing Jon standing outside the coach in his skivvies after one of the pukes.

Lew

Default Liberty Standard Equipment

Jon,

With your diminished senses, maybe you should turn to technology and a tactical plan rather than a strategic one.

Wear this. Don't Libertys come standard with them?

Ben Guest

Tip: When you turn on the main pump, put the pump handle just under the lever you lifted to turn the pump on... lifting the lever creates a gap just big enough to hold the pump handle. That way you don't have to leave the handle on the ground when you go to pump from the other side of the coach.

lewpopp Guest

Where did you learn that Ben? Some of us are aware of that but is there an answer to the puking problem? Jon wants the answer NOW !!!

Default Mpg Revisited

Okay Boys and Girls, I have been following the all knowing, full of knowledge, helpful A1 Jon, since my bling is so brite and shiney
    And 62.5 mph don't get this, but 59 mph does, notice all the numbersCIMG1292.JPG -he don't get puked on as much as some. This aint mine, its JonsCIMG1293.JPG
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Well I thought I had a front row seat for some classic fuel puking this evening. Mike, Chris (who sounds amazingly like Austin Powers when taking on the CB) and I are at the Flying J just north of Oklahoma City. MM and I are next to each other at the truck fuel island when the Liberty Diesel Puke-o-Saurus nears full. Up walks the Flying J trash boy who is standing in the fuel puke Cone of Certainty emptying a trash can.

I can see it all happening in slow motion; Mango running for the fuel nozzle in slow motion followed by that deep voiced, slow NNNNNOOOOO as the dual filler Prevost takes another victim. But the guy, most likely distracted by the Blingster Royale next to him moves ahead as Mike shuts the fuel down mucho gallons early to avoid a major fuel spill.

Damn the luck.