Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The fueling bath revisited

Default The fueling bath revisited

Some time ago there was a discussion about taking a fuel bath on refueling. My idea without trying it would be to wire in parallel into the dash mounted fuel gage circuit, a second fuel gage either permanently or have a plugin unit that you carried out with you when refueling. NOW THATS REAL BLING or NOT
    JIM

Or as an alternate, maybe the wizards that design these multi gazillion dollar coaches could come up with a fuel filler that won't puke on you.

My 87 did not puke on me. Ever.

I'll bet MCI fuel fillers do not puke on you.

I'll bet plywood palace fuel fillers do not puke on you.

How hard can it be?

Since Prevost has had this problem for a long time, we need to get them off the dime and make them do a recall at their expense. Since the great state of CA is loaded with environmentalists that are more anal than anyone on this site, maybe if they knew every Prevost pukes fuel, and damges the environment we could get them to educate Prevost by initiating some enforcement action.

The '92 baby Prevost doesn't puke either

I have not noticed on mine, I will check it out. I do know that in the manual it states not to attempt to top off, after the pump nozzle stops.
    I had some problem with my Lexa until I stopped topping off.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Chris and Debbie Yates Guest

You are absolutely right,no top off = no bath. Trust me I learned this the hard way.

Chris.

Orren Zook Guest

I'm guessing that you are encountering that splash problem when you fuel at the truck island, most newer trucks have a 4 inch inlet as opposed to the 2 inch filler neck on your bus, so tank venting is not a problem for them with high volume pumps. Try opening the cap on the other side of the tank/bus or watch the pump dial and when you get within 20 gallons or so of full ratchet back a couple of notches on the nozzle - 10 gallons a minute is too much fuel without a way for the tank to vent.
    You'd never have this problem at the RV island of a FlyingJ all you need is an hour to spare while you fill up!

dalej Guest

Mine must be the party animal, it pukes all the time. I just can’t lift the nozzle all the way or “watchout”! It doesn’t matter if its on one fourth or three fourths tank, it will puke. So I usually take longer inthe fuel line, but that is ok, since I like to check things out, older coaches need babied.

I think on my coach it might be because it has a auxiliary fuel tank (175 + 75) gallon and that might addto the issue. I’m so cautious of it now its second nature to back away when filling. Maybe its just the different pressure at the pumps that does it.

I'll take no prisoners in this debate. We are supposed to have commercial vehicles and as such I expect them to be filled at a commercial filling station like a truck stop, with the nozzle on its fastest setting. Why should I expect to use a half speed setting?

I have filled at the RV island (once) and at a convenience store (once), and it took so long it wasn't worth it.

I have tried filling both sides simultaneously, the drivers side only (that really pukes a lot), and the passenger side only (that pukes, but much less dramatically). On my other coach, about a minute before the nozzle shut itself off you could hear a gurgle in the filler pipe which got progressively louder. At that point you could see the foam disappear back down the pipe.

Now you hear the gurgle at the same instant about a pint of fuel shoots out the pipe. There is no way to even contemplate "topping off" because it seems an amount equal to what is coming from the nozzle comes out at you. My current practice is to never get closer than 3 feet to the side of the nozzle while it is pumping, and when it simultaneously pukes and shuts off I am done.

FWIW I have the standard 208 gallon tank and the optional 90 gallon auxiliary tank, so fortunately I don't have to fuel very much.

lewpopp Guest

I think the absence of JPJ is answered. He is researching the reasons the coach of yours is puking. At this very moment he is breaking croissants with the HNIC of Prevost. I know he will not give up until he has some super innovative top secret solutions for you "Puking Prevosts". Does PP stand for that or the "proud" studs?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dale, our 86 does not have this problem and we have identical stuff?

Explain this someone