Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Seal 50DN

Default Alternator Seal 50DN

I arrived at the Winter Rally in Vegas only to find a coat of oil in my engine compartment from a faulty alternator seal. Thank to Kevin Erion and his parts truck we got it fixed.

I talked with the group and found that the alternator seal was repaired buy a pretty large percentage of members, some more than once. This put me on the path for a better solution and I may have found one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kirks...s#ht_731wt_941

I ordered a couple seals form this company and sent one to Kevin for review, we both think they are quality and might be a better solution. Best of all they are $24 cheaper.

Looks like a good part to have in stock on the buss....how big a deal is changing the plate and seal out?

Don't overlook this company. I bought the entire alternator from them thinking I was buying a knock-off because the entire alternator was as cheap as the cost to rebuild my old one. It not only was not a knockoff, but the real deal with the Delco castings, they did not even want my old core.

I haven't priced their repair parts or kits, but if they are proportional to their new alternator cost they will be very inexpensive.

http://www.elreg.com/category/83.aspx

The seal kit that Mike sent is a better than stock part. To add to Jon's story I ended up with a brand new 50DN from Elreg. I found that when I was almost done with the order, the salesman pointed out the updated version. What was the change........the front seal area! I now have the updated 50DN on the bus, the original 50DN that I took apart, installed new o-rings and the improved front seal kit I got from Mike, in the back of the parts truck it is! Maybe now I will never have another oil leak, from that area of the motor anyway. I did have fun taking the old one apart and would not think twice about taking one apart again. It's nice when you know if you don't like the way it goes back together, just chuck it!

I have a year on the aftermarket seal and not a drop of oil. I was installing a front new seal every year. If you have the original seal I would upgrade when it goes bad. The aftermarket is $40, OEM is over $60.

Our company has searched for a solution for the 50dn seal problem for a long time. We have found that the Kirks Automotive replacement is by far the best available. Check their website = www.kirksauto.com for many bus related electrical parts.

Kevin,

That is exactly the seal I got from Kevin Erion. I think he bought several of them from Kirk's. It was easy to install and finally ended my oil leak on the alternator.

An interesting note.... my alternator leaks very slightly from the rear, not the front. I thought that perhaps it was the oil tube leaking but it isn't. Apparently this is normally addressed as part of an alternator re-build and is not commonly repaired alone.

It really is more of an oil weep than a leak and is more a nuisance than anything else.

So far, it's easier to clean up a little oil staining than pull the alternator.....

Paul Could it be that your alternator is trying to tell you something.......like a water pump does?

Paul: 50DN on my sister Liberty began leaking at about 125K from one of the bolts on the center perimeter and failed totally shortly thereafter both electrically and severe oil leak. Replaced it with a unit with the updated front end cover and seal which started leaking within 6 months from the end seal and was then replaced with an old style end plate reman. At the same time, we upgraded the upper oil return line to larger diameter as on later applications. Still ok but only about 5K on this one. If I have problems soon, I'm inclined to go the air cooled conversion route.