Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Low Coolant Alert

NAPA sells the Zerex HD ExtendedLife Red antifreeze that meets EC-1 specs. It says it is a 6-year/600K mile antifreeze. The last time I checked, it was $15.06 for the 100% mixture.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I know there may be an article somewhere or maybe even a thread where coolant was discussed in detail, but for the newer folks to POG who have not had the advantage of the discussion on coolant the simple version is if the coolant lists that it meets the Detroit Diesel specification it is acceptable for use. That coolant should be changed every two years and between changes it should be maintained by the use of conditioning filters which are changed every six months. Those filters meter additives (SCAs) into the coolant to maintain the proper chemistry.

As an alternative, the use of coolant meeting the EC-1 spec, an extended life coolant may be used. The two types of coolant are not compatible, and if EC-1 coolant is to be used, the entire cooling system must be flushed and free of the Detroit spec coolant. The EC-1 coolant is to use a blank cartridge instead of one that adds SCAs, and no coolant except EC-1 spec coolant is to be added to the system.

The EC-1 spec coolant was developed by Caterpillar as an alternative to 2 year coolant changes, and its life is typically expressed as 6 years or 600,000 miles, whichever comes first. Brian is our resident coolant expert having arranged the seminar at Spearfish.

Does anybody know if the leak was found or not? Inquiring minds want to know...<g>!

Dale,

Thanks, that was good news since I haven't been able to find anything locally compatible with my Texaco (Red) Extended Life Coolant. I assume the 100% is the concentrate which is what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
    Does anybody know if the leak was found or not? Inquiring minds want to know...<g>!
    Not yet. I haven't moved the bus since the incident and have been consumed with other issues. However, my next bus related task is to get it to a Detroit Diesel shop for a leak test, any needed repairs and, if necessary, a coolant flush and refill with an approved brand/rating. I'm hoping to be able to set aside a day early next week to get this accomplished!

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldterry View Post
    Not yet. I haven't moved the bus since the incident and have been consumed with other issues. However, my next bus related task is to get it to a Detroit Diesel shop for a leak test, any needed repairs and, if necessary, a coolant flush and refill with an approved brand/rating. I'm hoping to be able to set aside a day early next week to get this accomplished!
    I hope you get it all fixed up soon. Keep us posted...we are a curious bunch and want to know all the juicy details! <g>

Michael,

One question about coolant for you. Do you have an Aquahot heat system or Webasto? Aquahot has it's own coolant tank and Webasto uses the engine coolant. The reason Im asking, is during all that severe weather we had, you had many issues trying to keep things from freezing and if there were prolonged periods of Webasto use, you could have coolant leaks at various places such as cabin heat exchangers, bay heat exchangers, hoses, hot water heater. webasto fittings and engine hose fittings. If you have an Aquahot, then this theory is out the window.

Hey Michael, did you ever get to the bottom of the coolant leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
    Hey Michael, did you ever get to the bottom of the coolant leak?
    Nothing so far, Mark - but we haven't run the bus much since I refilled the surge tank. The next couple of trips should tell me if i've got a problem or just an isolated "mystery" incident.

Michael, Here is hoping with the cooler than normal temps in GA this winter your missing coolant was due to cold temps coolant leaks. In the cooler places I have always lived one considers coolant leaks when a rig is setting as part of the game. The first winter we had our coach in CO the coolant level would be low after setting.
    Making sure all the hose clamps where tight seems to have been the cure. Tell Vita hello for us.