Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member TBC

Ed and Sandy:

Congratulations on new bus. Very cool. We look forward to seeing pictures or in person soon.

Eric and Debbie Faires
    Huntsville, TN

Hi guys. Spent the last two weeks working, installing a stack washer and dryer (fulfilled promise) in the process discovered some electrical issues that could have proved deadly. In running the 10-4 wire for the dryer I discovered the ground buss bar floating in the main A/C panel, meaning not bonded!!! Second issue was in the shore power cord box. My only desire for a 45' was a power cord reel, dont believe me ask Sandy. Well my joy was short lived as the cord was only 15' long, some one left home plugged in I guess. Next shock was yesterday looking things over for a trip to see Sandy mom, I found some hack electrician had simply cut the cord inside the storage box and spliced the 15' cord using wire nuts. Kind of scary as it should have been in a junction box with split bolts, which i finished this morning. I need suggestions on the prefered length for the shore cord. I only expect one answer to this question as I know there is only one proper length for the PREVOST. Note new fan not for the faint of heart. New bass place not finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Ed,

Shouldn't the question's answer lie with the cord reel capacity? I have never measured my power cord, but I would presume the size of the cord storage area is the controlling dimension that dictates cord length.

Good thought Jon, when we get to Dothan AL. I will see how much water hose I can stuff in there, think I carry about 150'
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma

Ed,

When my shore cord was replaced by Liberty, the new one measured just under 70', which was about 10' longer than the old one. The Glendining reel had no problems.

Regarding your grounding of the panel, did you do a jumper to the nuetral or simply bond the ground bar to the panel can? Typically the ground would remain seperate from the nuetral. Where the shore cord comes into your transfer switch the ground wire should be grounded there to a terminal which connects all of the grounds together as well. So when you connect your cord to a shore recepticle, the ground will be attached to the earth ground at the breaker panel.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Ed,

Gary has advice that must be observed. An improperly grounded bus may never appear to give you a problem, but at some point if you ever touch the skin of the bus and something metal that is grounded such as another RV or a post you may find yourself part of an electrical circuit.

To the best of my knowledge RV's with 4 wire 50 amp service do not bond the neutral and ground even though this is a common practice in a lot of residential electrical boxes. We supply power outlets with provision for bonding the neutral and ground but always ship them unbonded.

Ed,

Jon make a VERY important point. We had some electrical work done on our power pedestal her at Outdoor Resorts that added a couple of circuits. The licensed electrician explained that it was very important to recognize that in RV applications, the neutral and ground buss bars are separated, and NOT combined as in typical residential wiring.

Thanks Paul, do you ever use 70', I was thinking more like 40-50'. I've time to think as I carry 60' extension cord. I could have been more clear on the A/C panel. Never bond neutral to ground, it should be isolated-insulated from box-ground. In my case the ground bonding bar had been taken loose and never put back.
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma