Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Request for new article on RIVETS

Thanks to all who have responded. Little by little I am getting schooled on rivets.

Jon, I only have 2 "possible" loose rivets that "might" be causing a very small water leak, and only when it rains REAL HARD.

At some point I may try to replace them, but for now I will just try to seal them as you suggested in an earlier post.
    The point of this exercise was to become somewhat knowledgeable of the process before it becomes necessary to do the work.
    Try to be prepared before the need arises.

"Unless there is a screaming need for rivet replacment on the bus I wouldn't begin to think about doing it, especially up on the painted part. The production methods may have changed, but when we visited the factory in the early 90s the aluminum was applied hot so when it cooled it pulled itself tight eliminating buckles. You might get away with replacing a rivet or two but if the project gets extensive I see the skin starting to get misaligned with the holes."

Jon,

That's the purpose of Cleco's...temporary rivits so to speak, still could be a big job.

cleco..jpg

Putting goop around a rivit to seal it.....no, especially in aluminum and even more especially if you live in high humidity or close to the ocean. Corrosion may well rear its ugly head in the skin, first little bubbles in the paint later, skin replacement. I doubt that the skins on these busses were treated at the factory with a corrosion inhibitor.

FWIW I would almost bet the rivets are not the source of the leak.

Update,

It think I found my water leak. The leak only occurred when it rained REAL Hard. The water would show up under my kitchen cabinets. I finally traced it to a side marker light that was allowing water in behind the light fixture gasket. I put a little silicone on it to take care of until I get home. The I will replace all the side marker light gaskets.

So Jon was right, it does not appear that the rivets were the source of the leak.