Mango, for most, this bike ride is NOT a big party. The real riders get up at 9 or 10 (a.m.) and are the last to leave after all the tourists have hit the road, usually before sun up, so they can get in before dark. The real riders do 25+, but if the route is more flat speeds will be up to 27+. They are in large groups and trade off riding at the front of pace line so as to keep the speed very high. When passing the tourists they usually yell "on your right" so some silly tourist doesn't suddenly move left and take the long pace line out in a single move. Don't get any bright ideas from these secrets I'm telling you here...The goal is to leave as late as possible,beat everyone in to the campsite and THEN party. The tourists tend to party on the route each day to keep their minds off the blistering heat or chilling rain. Sometimes the tourists become dillusionary from the shear weight on their shoulders due to the task at hand. They do not sleep well at night, not because they stay up and party but rather, they can't bear the thought of sitting on a skinny bike seat for 40-100 miles for yet another
day. I think you guys should do this, I'm sure you should.

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
I would love to give this a try. Do you think JDUB would do a tandem w/ me?

Let us know the dates, and have they outlined the route yet? I understand they try to keep it secret as long as possible.

Mike