Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: California Combined Length Limit - 65’

Gary,

Amen to that! Glad to hear everything is ok at your house
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Orren Zook Guest

Any thoughts or new revelations on CHP length enforcement at this time - I'm thinking of taking a 28' trailer attached to my 40' bus into Perris next week to pick up some items. Would it be best done during the wee hours of the morning?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Unless you can get the Shift Schedule for the CHP from the Arizona Border to Indio, you are definately taking a risk. There are too many people and stories of Pull -overs to discount . The last statement I read from the CHP when asked if they were targeting RV's with towables indicated they were not. Tell that to the people who had to un-hook and drive their towable to the Arizona border, or the Bus owner who had to find someone with a commercial driver license to drive his Bus because he did not have a B class license.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

My understanding is that the real problem area is the I-10 around Blythe. There are other ways, perhaps longer, but you can get around that. I-40 to the I-15, or from the south come in via I-8?

Ray

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    My understanding is that the real problem area is the I-10 around Blythe. There are other ways, perhaps longer, but you can get around that. I-40 to the I-15, or from the south come in via I-8?
    I was thinking of I-40 to I-15 to I-215 rather than dropping clear down to I-10. would there be any traffic issues at different times of the day or should I be watching KTLA on the satellite to get an idea?

Default Chp

Guys,

Definitely the I-10 Corridor is the worst but don't discount any of the roads into California.

My suggestion, if you must, is to travel at night when everyones depth perception is off, including the constables. Something about night a the cop with his tape measure, his flashlight..........you skew the odds. That's provided all of you lights are working properly or the odds skew just a rapidly in the opposite direction.

Also do not forget the California Cell Phone law that finally goes into effect on July 1. First offence for talking with a handset while motovating, 79.00, second offence 190....

lewpopp Guest

The cell phone law has been in effect for years in NY and you can redly see when driving around that it makes no difference to the young kids.

Actually, my near misses have been with Soccer Mom's in the Yukon XL's.....

Definitely the I-10 Corridor is the worst but don't discount any of the roads into California.
    So, my info is definitely third hand, so take it with a large grain of salt. I have been told that there is a small stretch of I-10 in the Blythe area that is NOT federally funded road, and because of that the CHP tends to excercise it's powers to fill local coffers with money, looking for oversize vehicles.

I haven't heard that to be an issue down I40, I15 etc. I have not had a problem ever being stopped, however, I am not over-length when driving, so it probably isn't saying much.

I think any time you are oversize, you run the risk. I don't believe there are any checkpoints on the I40-I15 route. There is a fruit checkpoint as you a few miles inland in CA when coming down I15 from Vegas. So, that might more an area of concern.

Best of luck on your decision.

Ray

I have seen the Imperial County Sheriff with a bus stopped on I-8, who knows what for, but the cop was stepping off the coach/trailer combo before he became invisible in the rear view.

California is tough, you have the fruit police right inside of the border, then if you are on I-8 you get the dope dogs at the Homeland Security Checkpoint (Border Patrol looking for aliens my A$%), and anywhere along the route there are CHP's and others looking for the out of state busses that are way too long.

I still advise to either be under the limit, do the trip at night or be prepared...it's your call.

John