Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: California Combined Length Limit - 65’

Taking Jon's point about not being noticed.

The Camo Prevo

For those interested, this is a link to the CA handbook describing the Class B non-commercial license, and what the requirements are to get said license.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

Yes, when I tow my 30' enclosed trailer in and out of CA I go 57 miles per hour and hope to fly under the radar. Not very easy, there are a few provisions in the Ferderal Interstate laws that allow for some very long vechiles, but they have to be commercial. I have a CDL but that won't help, I think it might hurt, I should know the law! I am just concerned when they tell me to park the bus and trailer and make it legal, that day will SUCK! And I even give CA all the overpriced Registration fees in hopes that will help.
    Untill then, _____ em!
    Kevin

About two years ago we were in Camp Prevost in Jacksonville and a fellow towing a trailer behind his 45' coach revealed he just paid one of the Dakotas a princely sum because he was overlength. Despite the size of the fine, he was overjoyed that they only charged the fine, and allowed him to drive out of the state.

Yes Jon, the price we are willing to pay for having are toys.
    Kevin

Jon, Kevin,

Since 2 out of 3 vehicles we have set up to tow exceed California length limit when attached to the coach, we usually drive detached from Quartzsite west. This eliminates the stress of flying under the radar, gives one of us a chance to follow the coach to see how it is rolling along from the outside, and we can both go 70 with the other cars! Doing 70 mph from Blythe to Indio allows us to get ot ORA quicker, YEA!!!

We had the lock on a tow bar fail years back when we were about 2 or three hours from home. The arm would not lock so it would contract and extend. As a result I unhitched and my wife drove the car, following me.

That ain't going to happen again. She didn't want to drive, I had nobody to wait on me hand and foot, it was horrible.

That is why we try to be legal length.

matsprt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Erion
    Yes, when I tow my 30' enclosed trailer in and out of CA I go 57 miles per hour and hope to fly under the radar. Not very easy, there are a few provisions in the Ferderal Interstate laws that allow for some very long vechiles, but they have to be commercial. I have a CDL but that won't help, I think it might hurt, I should know the law! I am just concerned when they tell me to park the bus and trailer and make it legal, that day will SUCK! And I even give CA all the overpriced Registration fees in hopes that will help.
    Untill then, _____ em!
    Kevin
    I doubt that the CHP will notice us if over a "little" on the length. However Kevin, you should make sure your Alabama Chicken Haul'n lights are turned off and sneak out in the dead of night.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

If you can get down the road without being harassed with this I think that the length thing is a non-issue.

http://www.kingsleycoach.com/index_055.htm

This thing is 45ft not counting the cab so add maybe another 10 or 12ft for that, the trlr looks like 30 or so, that makes 85 or 90ft!
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-27-2007 at 03:03 PM.

The only reason the CHP picks on folks with tow vehicles and trailers is they can't see the 40 to 50% un-insured and un-licensed drivers in the state.
    If they just spent a minimum amount of effort in taking vehicles away from these people, the roads would be much safer.
    Here's the thing, my preference would be to be sharing the road with someone who has 1/2 million or more invested in his Bus and trailer rather than an individual driving a $500.00 Taurus who has no license, no insurance and would simply run away from an accident.
    Oh, additionally the Bus owner probably pays a heck of a lot more in taxes which supports the highway system.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide