Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California Combined Length Limit - 65’

Default California Combined Length Limit - 65’

Folks,

I just got this from the Royale Coach guys who got if from FMCA.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The California Highway Patrol has begun ticketing motorhome and tow-car combinations that exceed sixty-five feet in length. Several Prevost owners have already paid the fine. If you plan to travel in California towing a car or trailer, you should educate yourself on this issue. Rick Kent has researched the situation and written a letter to FMCA asking for help in getting the law changed. You can read his letter, and FMCA’s response, on the Prevost website at www.PrevostProuds.com More information is also available on the FMCA website by clicking here: FMCA Legislative Updates.

FMCA has begun a program to seek relief from the State of California. As part of that program, they need copies of any tickets that have already been issued for combined lengths exceeding sixty-five feet, regardless of when that ticket was issued. If you have received a ticket, please send a copy of it to Max Durbin, chair of the FMCA Governmental and Legislative Affairs Committee.

Send the copy to: Max Durbin

235 Caravan Circle

N. Fort Myers, FL 33903

-Or-

Fax the copy to: His home - 239-994-6733

or to FMCA - Attn: Max Durbin - 513-474-2332

-Or -

Email the copy in PDF format to: mjdurbin@juno.com

Interesting. If you read the report on the Prevost Proud site, there is a link off to an FMCA article. Not only CA, but 32 states have a 65 foot limit, according to http://www.fmca.com/motorhomerights/..._ca_length.asp

So I guess there is at least one advantage to owning a "baby Prevost" as Jon calls them.

Maybe I need to get all my California travel done before I acquire a 45'er?

Wonder who the other states are?

Our old 40 foot coach could tow almost any vehicle and be legal. I set the Dodge quad cab pickup for towing because I was legal, and when I was alone that is what I towed. I am at 68 feet in the 45 foot coach with the Dodge behind it.

When we decided to sell the Jeep GC we found that we needed something equally short otherwise we were illegal. I think a Subuaru Outback and a 45 foot coach is illegal for example, but a 45 coach with an H2 Hummer is legal. Who would've thunk it?

I found this on the Roadmaster site. Obviously not official, but it lists limits for all states.

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/laws.html

Wow, there's even a few 60ft states in there!!

Ray

Kevin with his 30' trailer certainly wins this award.

Mike

I am not quite understanding this..... You can own a 5th wheel, trailer behind the 5th wheel, a Boat or another trailer , both to be pulled by a Pick-up. Whats that all about.
    Is this just for RVs, because I see many people pulling odd combinations of trailers, etc.
    What about all of the long Painted Car trailers I see at the RV shows, ?
    If you had a commercial license, would that make a difference since commercial trucks are Longer I assume.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think alot of these odd configurations we see going down the road are doing it illegally, and havent been sighted yet, and yes heavy trucks have to conform to these laws also. Max. length on a single trlr. is 53ft. and doubles are limited to 28ft per trlr. max. There is this thing called the federal bridge law that deals with the length issues and it is so complicated and lacking in any sence I wont even begin to explain it, even if I could, correctly.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-25-2006 at 06:54 PM.

The issue of compliance with various state laws is confusing and everchanging. CA in the recent past was not allowing 45' coaches. They were illegal. That has changed, but to comply you have limited roads for travel, and if I am not mistaken a non commercial class B is required for CA registered coaches of 45' length. (CA guys correct me if I am wrong)

The length and width requirements for various states vary, but it has been our observation that unless the violation is flagrant, or the coach driver is driving like a jerk, the police do not single them out for a violation. I think NJ still does not allow 45 foot coaches or 8.5 foot widths. Ironically every day of the week NJ is blanketed with 45' seated coaches heading to and from NYC and Philly.

During the time when CDLs were coming into being I remember NY state police were targeting heavy coaches over 26,000 lbs and if the driver did not have a class B he was ticketed and the coach was parked until a licensed driver could move it. They backed off on that quickly, but examples of that type of selective enforcement still continue. The best way to deal with the various laws is to try to not draw attention to yourself or to be completely legal.

matsprt Guest

Jon,

Yes, in CA if your coach/bus/MH is MORE than 40' you need a class B license and medical card (medical card renewed every 2 years). 40' and under you are OK with a "regular" class C license.

Remember it's easy to get this all mixed up, if they are on FEDERAL INTERSTATES you can run 45' 102 wide buses and each state must allow you reasonable access to services along the interstate. This is from the commercial truck segment. However each state can limit the access to roads that are "away" from the interstates.

As was noted TRAILERS are limited to 53' with no limit on the tractor. So I can run 53' trailers and conventional Pete's and be 70' overall and legal. Other combinations differ, like a 45' bus with a trailer falls under the 65' max limit.

The name of the game here is confusion. Lots of laws, many not understood by those empowered to enforce (example - the bridge law mentioned earlier, many in the CHP can not even answer questions about it). It's all about the money folks, they need it and you got it.

Not to worry for me I have a CDL....thank God.