Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: California Combined Length Limit - 65’

If you don't want to chance getting caught, you can apply for an over length permit from the CHP for a fee. They will route you and give you travel hours to run. They will permit to a maximum of 80 feet on the freeways. All they want is the money. Good luck.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Harry, are you still humpin that turkey?

You can not buy a permit for an RV, only commercial vehicles qualify for special permits, no matter how much cash you want to give Arnold!

Apparently they still collect the cash, but using a different flow path. Hello, ossifer.

Jon, you are not new to the way California pays for all the Cal Trans workers watching as the 1 guy works

When I lived in NY State it made me retch when I had to drive on the highways maintained by the state. Any project, no matter how small usually entailed four or five big trucks, and most of the time one or two guys working, and the rest sitting in the truck reading the paper.

It's no wonder some states are in financial trouble.

Put your tail lights at the 65 ft. length and paint every thing behind them black and run at night. The CHP never remove their cool shades. Oh my god I'm getting as bad as Jim C. Forgive me.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Quote Originally Posted by hhoppe View Post
    Put your tail lights at the 65 ft. length and paint every thing behind them black and run at night. The CHP never remove their cool shades. Oh my god I'm getting as bad as Jim C. Forgive me.
    Harry, you've been there a long time.

All this talk about being to long reminded me of years ago we traveled all over the country racing Hobie Cat sailboats. We had a 40' Foretravel and pulled a VW bus with the Hobie hooked on the back of the VW. The mast of the Hobie stuck out another four feet and the total length was right about 75'. We pulled that rig from California to the Keys and lots of places in between and were only stopped once. We were running Interstate 10 and around Gulfport. MS I had a highway patrolman follow me for a few miles before he finally hit his lights. I pulled over, got out of the coach and met him as he was walking up the side of the rig. This guy didn't know what to think. He asked me how long it was and I said gosh officer, I just don't know, but that I had traveled all over the country and never been stopped. Thankfully, he was one of the good guys and I really think he stopped me just to get a close up look. He ended up saying there has to be something illegal about this rig, but if I would get the hell out of Mississippi he would let me go. Thats what I did, and on the way home a week later I headed north out of Mobile up to Interstate 20 so as to not give the guy another shot at me. Probable end up in the slammer if You tried that today.

At Paso Robles, Naciemento Lake is a popular summer lake to boat and water ski, etc. I have seen more than a few people towing boats behind their fith wheel trailers . It's legal, but seeing two towables behind a truck is interesting.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide