Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bay Door Lock Malfunction

Default Bay Door Lock Malfunction

Good Morning all. I have been searching through all of the threads looking for info on bay door lock maintenance. I couldn't find any comments relating to same. I have a bay door lock that will not open/unlock without using the key. It will actuate into the closed/locked position electrically. I have tried some spray lubricant, but that doesn't appear to have helped. Before I start taking everything apart is there something specific that I should look for before or after tearing into this project?
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Keep us posted Tony, I have the same problem. I think the electric actuaters get old and don't have enough power to move the assembly.

I have the same issue. It is not at the top of my list but is important to remedy.
    Ed (sawdust) tells me that he had the issue and found it to be an imperfect ground that he found in the bay area. I can see how this can be and will look for similar when I get a chance. That will entail removing the inside cover of the bay door. My problem is intermittent so the bad ground sounds plausible.

Keep this thread up to date with your results as I am sure there are others wanting to know.

JIM

Tony, I don't know if we have the same actuator. Mine is from a 1990s Ford truck. I have found some on eBay for around $25. If you price them at a Ford dealership they are over $160 each! If anyone needs to buy one I can post the eBay address.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I think this is a common problem, the solinoid gets weak over time. It would be a guess but the friction on the bay door locks is higher than the solionid was desien to handle.

I also have this problem intermittently on a couple of Evangeline's bay doors. The problem seems to be more prevalent when the outside temps are cold. I'd love to know how to eliminate this issue, so I'll be watching this thread with great interest! On mine, when the problem manifests, the locks seem to "click" (audible), but do not engage/disengage (depending on whether they are either locked or unlocked at the moment). I've thought about trying some WD-40 or similar silicone lubricant or lithium grease, but don't want to make a mess.

I had a door that was out of adjustment and the actuator would not lock it,could that be the problem?

Add me to the list....like Michael, colder temps seem to accentuate the problem. That makes me believe it is more friction related that a bad ground. In fact, many times just cycling the switch a time or two and creating some momentum will unlock the particular door.

This is a common problem. A couple of things to check before replacing the solenoid. There is a small rubber bumper that keeps the handle from contacting its' metal stop. If that bumper is missing, damaged or compressed it will cause the locking pin to drag. Cleaning the pin/assembly thoroughly will generally get them working properly. WD40 tends to gum things up over time. I have had good luck with TriFlow, a bicycle chain lubricant. Silicon also works well, but does not last very long. The solenoids are very easy to replace in most conversions, although some require drilling out pop rivets or removing the ZipDee chair holders.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

lonesome george Guest

I had a bay door lock that operated intermittently. It had power from the switch and a ground and it would function with the key but not always with the switch. My lock is operated by a small motor which I removed and took apart to see if something was amiss with it, found nothing wrong and the motor would run just fine on the bench. Went back to the lock for a closer look and found that the lock pin was stiff to move, it had some sticky goop on the pin, cleaned the pin and the lock housing with brake clean and put a light oil on the pin. That lock is working OK now, did a round of cleaning on the rest of the locks and so far so good.
    I think these locks struggle in very cold weather, moisture can freeze on the pins and/or the lube will get stiff and the little motors can't get it done under those conditions.
    Sometimes the bay lock indicator light will not go out with the first push of the lock switch but with a couple more tries ours will get the locks out.