Thread: Roof A/C Problem

Default Roof A/C Problem

Hello,
    After a year and a half we're now dealing with our first (but surely not the last) mechanical issue on our Featherlite. It has 4 roof top a/c units (no OTR) and the bedroom unit suddenly stopped blowing cold air. It was working fine but two weeks ago the compressor seems to have stopped kicking on. I believe that when the freon is low, the digital thermostat controls are supposed to read "Lo-PS" which it is NOT doing. So i'm wondering if it can be simply a bad thermostat or relay of some sort.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where we would begin to look to diagnose this issue? Unfortunately there are no Prevost Conversion service facilities in the northeast that we could have look at this.
    Any suggestions are much appreciated.

dreamchasers Guest

Robert,

I also have roof airs on my coach and have some experience. Low freon is not the only issue that will prevent the AC compressor from running. Several relays and the control board are in the circuit for starting the compressor. Dometic ACs are common on many RVs. I would think that a typical RV service center would have the expertise the trouble shoot the AC issue.

I hope all works well.

Hector

Since the fan works, obviously you do have electricity to the unit. I also have the 4 roof airs. I have had to replace the start and/or the run capacitors to two of my units. I do not have the part numbers with me since I am not at the bus at this moment. The good thing about the roof airs is that almost any RV repair place can work on them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I took the cover off the unit today to see if anything looked out of whack and what i found was that two electrical wires were burned all the way through. Needless to say i close it back up and left it alone. it obviously has something seriously wrong with it given how badly these two wires were burned. Anyone have any ideas on how this could happen without tripping the power supply circuit that feeds the unit?