Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batteries Again?

It's got to be a cable issue! The 24v jump lug is a direct connection to the 24v side of the outside battery as Jon stated. Regardless of the equalizer, if there is no 24v at that battery post and your getting 12's everywhere you check, the batteries are not hooked in paralell/series!

Default Batteries Again

Okay guys, with a 3:00am wakeup this morning I removed the cables from each battery individually and checked the voltage. One of the batteries showed a 5 volt reading where yesterday it showed 11.96. An inspection of one of the cables to that battery (which connected the negative pole of that battery to a positive pole of another battery) had been rubbing on the lock down bar holding the batteries in place. It appears to have been arcing and draining that battery. I charged that battery and replaced the damaged cable. I now have 24 volts and a running engine. As always, I thank you guys for your help and quick response.

I'm leaving today for a couple of weeks and will shut off the 24 and 12 volt switches. I'll let you know what happens when I return in two weeks.
    Richard and Audrey Barnes
    and Jessie Jane The Wonder Dog!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

My Blood Runs Deep Orange

Good to hear that you got it working! (Although I would have enjoyed the chance to get together). Call me when you're back in Long Beach.

ray

Richard, keep a close eye on that set. As you are probably aware they need to be replaced in sets and that one battery sounds as if it may have gotten damaged and may have had its lifespan compromised.

I'll do that Jon, Thanks!
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Good to hear that you got it working! (Although I would have enjoyed the chance to get together). Call me when you're back in Long Beach.

ray
    Ray, thanks for your offer to help and I too would like to have gotten together. Unfortunately, I'm having to return to Atlanta today and then on to DC for a week and then northern California for a week. I'll be back in Long Beach on April 5th and I'll give you a call. I should be here for a couple of weeks and I know we can find time for dinner. Again, thanks for your offer to help. I may still need you if this doesn't fix the issue.
    1998 Liberty
    2008 Saturn VUE

Preventing arcing or a short circuit is not rocket science and all it takes on the part of people working on coaches is a little care and caution.

Anytime someone is given the responsibility to work on a coach, I urge the owner to stand there and "supervise". If that is not practical I would suggest before accepting the bill as an owner you at least inspect the work. I am not suggesting this would have been noticed, but if the repair facility knows you are a fussy owner their work will reflect your standards.

You should have seen how Roger inspected the work Jim Keller and I did on his slide seal. He was a tough customer with high standards.