Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Member Map - Another Idea ...

Default Put Address or City Here

If someone posts other than the needed information Jim Skiff or Tom should just delete the post or move it.

In the title block above every member can put the city in which they reside.

We will need provision, probably in the comment section for people to note their winter or summer address if it differs from the main address.

Just to be clear, Jim I assume you meant a Resource "forum" (not thread), which there would be multiple threads, one for each state.

So, just being thorough here, there are a couple of downsides to the multi-thread (multi-state approach).

The biggest being printing the information. Now, instead of one thread where perhaps you have to print N times for N pages of thread, you have to perhaps have as many as 30 or so threads to go through and print. Granted, these threads would be smaller (less people posting per thread), which would be better.

But, I just wanted to bring up that caveat.

Ray

Jon,

Your list looks pretty reasonable. My only suggestion now would be formatting, such that it's laid out in a way that is conducive to external processing by program.

I'll try to get to that today as time allows.

As to the multi-thread approach, I don't have a strong feeling. Certainly works a bit better for traveling in a certain area. A little harder to handle via external program (I'm always thinking of that), but it can be done, so most likely that's the best approach.

Ray

Single thread for me. Having a thread for every state has all the issues Ray raises, but for folks with multiple addresses it just gets cumbersome.

Ray, I don't know diddly about external processing, but any layout works for me as long as we allow space for multiple addresses and pho9nes. I also forgot to add email addresses for those whose phones or computers get emails. We have had many instances where someone made a post or sent emails when they needed some help.

I'd hate to see this topic die. We need to create a list with member's names, contact information and available resources for folks needing help, a place to park, advice on a specific area and any other reason to speak to a fellow member.

Can someone create a template or list sequence so members who wish to allow other members to contact them or request help can do so?

Jon,

I think that FMCA has something similar to that but I can't remember which issue it was in. I'll see if I can look back online and find it. It listed members names, tel. #s , and what they could provide.

Chris

Jon,

I believe FMCA's plan is called the STOPPING SPOT FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM. I think it was published in the Jan. issue. Its a list of members that are willing and have facilities for a scheduled stop.

Chris

Sorry. I've been buried at work and wasn't able to get to defining a template. looks like Jim got it going however. wow haven't been to the forum in a week and log in to find all this!!