Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dirty Job But Somebody has to do it!

Hi Dale. You are very industrious. I would not have attempted this project on my own. Take more pictures! Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dale

How about all that room to get at the trans and the back side of the 8-V with those tires out of there, gotta love that.

What do the drums look like? Are you going to put new shoes and spring kits on? What about the radius rod bushings, are the collers on them squishing out or bits breaking off? Would love to be there to help out.

I never did get those screws out of our hubs. I wonder what would happen it a guy put it back togeather without them? The lug nuts with tight tires hold all that togeather on every other large hub assembly I have ever taken apart, Jon?

Dale I know your pollishing but you might concider pulling the other side without removing the tires, just the axle the jam nuts and outer bearing. I suppose it will depend on how this side goes back togeather. A block under the frame and a jack under the axle raising it just enough to clear the ground, mabye not even but right at that point, with a piece of something smooth and oiled up underneeth. I'm out all day but call if you have a question 708 243 7871
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 03-27-2007 at 06:54 AM.

Thumbs up My Work My Money

dalej;I haven't had to nor want to try and lift this assembly, as the photos shows I'm using a floor jack to lift and carry the assembly away to work on.

I was going to ask if anyone has had to pay someone to replace the seals. Jan says that the money I have saved on labor, she could spend on cloths! She wants a dollar amount!

Dale, I give you a lot of credit, tackling the job enough in advance of POG. At least you don't have the pressure to finish in a weekend. You still have 20 days or so to go. Don't give up yet. Do a little each day and you won't get hurt or frustrated.
    You tell Jan the money saved is for your clothes and Chiropractic tune-ups. JIM

dalej Guest

Joe....what is all this?

***What do the drums look like? Are you going to put new shoes and spring kits on? What about the radius rod bushings, are the collers on them squishing out or bits breaking off?

I just want to get in, change the seals and get out!
    Last edited by dalej; 03-27-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Dale,

Joe is right. But...You knew that was coming didn't you....the best way is to use one of those carriers designed to support the wheels and just roll it stright back off the spindle. Joes method works, but I chickened out. In order to aslide that much weight off the spindle and then straight back on when the seal is replaced is a real challenge so I opted to just break everything down. Like you I used a floor jack and the little extra time spent was worthwhile.

To address the investment in time, you will do all the learning on the first one. After that I would guess it is about 1.5 hours each and that involves some time to point out where Jan missed a few spots.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dale

If youv'e gotten the impression I'm trying to make more work for you, I am.
    But if your planning on keeping it you'll be saving time and money later, you are familiar with the routine I am sure. If your drums are nice and true you could put new shoes and spring kits on that litterally in minutes.

I didn't mention that when you pull your tag on the passanger side that will all but expose your Bendix Air Dryer. The service interval on that is 2 years. Its a snap, with the wheel gone, to disconnect a couple of air lines, a couple of wires and loosten 2 mounting brackets. Under 200 for a rebuilt with an exchange.

To remove it never having done it before, 1 hour, max. Same going back in.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 03-27-2007 at 09:46 PM.

dalej Guest

I serviced the air dryier four or five years ago, do you think when you only put 10,000 miles on a year you should still change them every 2 years? I did think about it since its right there.

I have to get a big pan or a kids plastic pool so I can clean all the parts without getting the shop floor all oily. I will inspect all the other parts then.

PS I was going to buy silver spray paint to repaint the drums in the event Jon wants to inspect!
    Last edited by dalej; 03-28-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Dale, hi-temp Bar B Q grill paint @ Lowe's or Home Depot. Flat black is nice. JIM

Thumbs up

Dale, I would service the air dryer at this time as dry air is extremely important in keeping your air leveling system and other devices functioning trouble free. It will be easy to do now as everything is open and the cost is minimal compared to having to look for trouble in the air system in the future. If you dont't elect to do it now, ask yourself the question, WHEN Will I? When a problem surfaces and it is too late? Preventive maintenance is the key to trouble free and happy motoring. Don't put out fires as they occur have a plan! JIM

Petervs Guest

Hi Dale, Nice project you have going there.

I sold industrial air dryers for 30 years, and although they are not exactly the same as the Bendix, the theory of operation is similar.

The dryer has desiccant inside which grabs the water molecules as they pass by in the compressed air stream. When the dryer dumps ( the loud noise you hear it make every now and then ( every time the compresser unloads because the air tank is up to pressure) the water molecules are released by the desiccant and purged to the outside air. The desiccant is then ready to grab more water molecules and the cycle repeats.

The reason we change desiccant at some interval is if dirt or especially oil gets on the surface of the desiccant it blocks the sites where the water molecules hang on and the effectiveness of the dryer is reduced . The oil comes from the compressor if it is oil lubricated and the dirt comes in with the incoming air if the air filter is compromised, and other contaminants can be smog or chemicals in the air itself. The industry has decided that a two year interval is sensible for typical over the road trucks, they probably average over 100,000 miles a year. The dryers are still working fine usually at that 2 year, 200,000 mile time point.

In your case, and my case, I think some other interval rather than a time of two years makes more sense if you only drive 10,000 miles a year. Maybe a 5-10 year interval is sensible. It is much like changing a roll of toilet paper that is still 3/4 there, just because it has been hanging on the wall for 31 days......that is not a good reason to do it!

I vote for less work , get the bus on the road, and have go have fun.