Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Dirty Job But Somebody has to do it!

dalej Guest

Default still going...

Well after I noticed my steering boot need replaced, Thanks Peter. I decided to clean the front axle of all the grease and dirt since I had removed the tires. Also my front brakes were grabbing in reverse, making vibration and noise. So wanted to replace them. Then noticed the paint peeling from the wheel skirts, so I decided to just remove the paint and just use ArmorAll to keep them shinny.

I had Jan make me my steering boot. I had her put in a zipper to make for an easy install.

Also when I was putting the drums back on I had noticed some excessive play in the steering. I remember Harry talking about it. I tightened the adjustment screw one half turn, now it seems better, I can't wait to do a test drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb

Dale, Real nice job on the zippered boot. What material did you use for them?

How did you remove the paint from the wheel well skirt?

Your post: "what is this" you said you were changing the pads! I thought you had disc brakes and was trying to figure out the components in the photos and couldn't. Also didn't think prior to your statment that 86 vintage had disc brakes. Now that you made this post I see you have drumb brakes and called the brake shoes pads now I get it!

How are your King Pins? tight or loose? Are they original?

Default Zipper Steering Boot

Dale: How cool is that? Prevost charged me 80 lewbucks for a peice of crap with no zipper. Jan is Wonder Woman now - she should post her price for zipper boot on the For Sale Forum and knock some poor french dude out of selling that piece of crap out of business. That appears to be a better mouse trap for sure. Congrats on the creativity.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

dalej Guest

Jim,

It was marine grade canvas.

I used Zip Strip original to get the paint off the skirts (still working on this).

King pins looked good along with the other moving parts. Like I said the steering worm gear was a bit loose.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Check this guy out.

First it's custom exhaust tips and now hes got every one of us drueling over a custom steering shaft boot, with zipper.

Thats what I'm talking about.

Dale I think I can take the liberty of speeking for EVERYONE in the group:
    May we all have one for Christmas please

MPD continues.

Question

Dale, When you had the drums off to check the brakes did you find anything worn or oily to contribute to your brake problems?????

Did you do anything in the way of maintenance to the bearings and seal??

win42 Guest

Dale: I think Jim C is scheming on buying your coach with all the questions.
    Nice job on the boot. The mech. that did my front end alignment also tightened the steering box adjustment. He did a quarter turn on mine and stated max you should do is 1/2 turn maximum at any one time. More could cause damage to the gears. Sounded like good advice from a reliable source. Are you home from Nashville yet?
    Last edited by win42; 06-15-2007 at 10:38 AM.