Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Montana LLC's

Default Montana LLC's

Just a heads up regarding the Montana LLC registered coaches.

A friend of mine has just recently received notice from the State of Massachusetts. Apparently the state is demanding back taxes, interest, penalties, etc. not only for the current coach, but also for the one owned by them previously. Not a pretty picture as the dollars are very high.

It looks as though the state compared a list of LLC registered vehicles against a list of state residents.

No matter how this turns out, there will certainly be the cost of defending their position as well as many sleepless nights.

Nearly every state is experiencing a fiscal crisis and I'm sure that they have attorneys working overtime trying to figure out ways to add revenues to their budgets.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Lived there, Left there

Paul,

Don't you mean the State of Taxachusetts! It was when we lived there in the late 1960's and I don't think it has changed for the better.

Default Maine / Montana

Our Montana attorney advised us to get out a year ago.

We are now registered in Fl having only paid sales tax- cheap compared to the penalties.

I have a buddy who lives in Colorado; he got the same deal. Boy, was he afraid! The state let him go with paying the tax and a small penalty. He was very happy with the outcome because what they originally were going to do was not good!

They were going to value his $200,000 coach at $575,000 - assess the tax on that amount - calculate the penalty and interest on that amount. When he showed some remorse they lightened the burden. He was lucky.

I formed a Montana LLC two years ago. I did so to try to save some tax money on my next coach. I spent $1100 forming the LLC. In view of these developments, I am going to dissolve the LLC and just pay the tax when I buy another coach.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Good idea to bring this up again Paul. As I mentioned in the past, the States can now buy the entire list for about $3200.00 and they are doing just that!

Here's a link to Montana Corporation info:
    https://app.mt.gov/cgi-bin/corprecords/corprecords.cgi

If you have your Bus in a Montana LLC, I would be concerned regardless of what the MT Attorneys tell you.

Am I allowed to say "I told you so"?

If you do have a Montana LLC, if you can come up with a legitimate business purpose for the bus you may have a chance to beat the possible financial consequences.

We created the Jamestown Advanced campground equipment product line including fire rings, grilles, picnic tables, and electrical power outlets and the bus was used to attend as many as 30 trade shows annually, carrying the display and providing both our lodging and transportation. It was our ownership of the bus and using campgrounds around the country that inspired the creation of that portion of the business, now its primary business segment.

In later years I put on seminars for a major customer's behalf and the bus carried the seminar materials, samples, literature and AV equipment all of which could only be reliably expected to arrive at the seminar location via our bus or my plane.

As second benefit to having a legitimate business purpose is the bus can be claimed on the tax return. There is not much recapture involved if you expense a depreciating asset, although you will need some paperwork between you and the LLC for personal use.

When I was at Prevost FW a month ago, I saw 2 motorhomes and 3 entertainers with Montana plates. Going to be lots of unhappy folks.

If the LLC has a Montana address,wouldn't it be impossible for a state to figure out who owns the coach?Bennett Law uses their address in Montana for the LLC.

Move to Alaska, tags and registration is $134.00 for our bus, $12.00 if you're over 65.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    If the LLC has a Montana address,wouldn't it be impossible for a state to figure out who owns the coach?Bennett Law uses their address in Montana for the LLC.

I would think your right Jack and I wonder the same.

If a corporation is created in Montana and a Montana attorney performed the task for an out of state client and that attorney was the statutory agent keeping the corporate "book" for that corporation, the attorney would be the only one shown on any record that is public.

The attorney would be the only individual that would know the identity of his client, in other words the only one that could link an out of state client to a Montana corporation would be the attorney that was/is the statutory agent for that clients corporation.

Where I see the possible problem for some is if they choose a corporation name that possibly was their own name that could easily be linked to them.

example; any state buys records showing, xyz corp of Montana, books kept by abc attorney.

How would the state buying that record know it was connected to anyone in their state.

Further, if forming the corporation is legal in Montana and the States involved have reciprocity of their laws then what is the problem, the corporation has done no wrong.

I am theorizing here and do not know for sure if what I have said is true, but it seems so to me.

JIM