Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...inevitably, it's windshield time...

Devin W Guest

Default ...inevitably, it's windshield time...

Yup, with those big panes of glass and winter driving conditions it was bound to happen sooner or later -- looks like it's sooner. I actually didn't even notice the good size crack in my windshield until things warmed up enough for me to clean the bus up after our last trip.

So I've seen reference to ordering parts from Prevost and even saw a pdf flyer when I went to their site about specials on glass, but, can a private party set up an account or do I need to order through a third party?

And...is that the best source for the glass?

Thanks!
    Devin

Prevost allows owners to set up an account for parts and service performed through their facilities. Pretty simple to set up, making it convenient for billings and payment.

Devin,

Prevost is your best source for the windshields and they are easy to change out. Just call Prevost and they will set you up with your own account, you don't have to go through any 3rd party to order parts. There have been a number of bulk windshield purchases among the Poggers and that was the best way to get the cheapest price, but you can buy 1 or 2 and have it shipped to your home or place of business.

Here's a link to Jon's Article on Windshield Replacement:
    http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/pu...s.view&id=3147

Don't be afraid to change one out. If you have patience, lots of soapy spray and even better the insertion tool for the cord it is a 20 to 40 minute job.

Ray Davis and Paul Horner NEVER changed windshields and both changed their own at rallies in front of many POG ball breakers and lived to tell about it.

sticks Guest

Does that go for H3 models?

We've only tried the original XL model windows, as they are really light, and inexpensive.

I'd consider trying it on my XL2, however I'd want a couple of those glass grippers, a good platform to stand on, and another body to help. I would assume it's do-able.

Devin,

If you want to grab a windshield, and bring to my place we can change it out ourselves.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Don't be afraid to change one out. If you have patience, lots of soapy spray and even better the insertion tool for the cord it is a 20 to 40 minute job.

Ray Davis and Paul Horner NEVER changed windshields and both changed their own at rallies in front of many POG ball breakers and lived to tell about it.
    That is the gospel truth.

Even though I had never considered the job before, with the encouragement of those that had done the job before (and plenty of POG supervision in attendance) Ray and I changed out my drivers side windshield in about an hour or so.

The time to complete the job will be considerable shorter next time, as I now have the confidence and a little experience regarding exactly what to expect.

It's not a bad job at all.

Of course, there's nothing like changing one the first time at a rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post

I'd consider trying it on my XL2, however I'd want a couple of those glass grippers, a good platform to stand on, and another body to help. I would assume it's do-able.

Ray
    What a guy Ray, you'll try anything once.

Devin W Guest

That's great info on the parts ordering -- I'll call to set up an account tomorrow. What's the normal price on one of those panes? I'd consider ordering a couple, but I don't think I want to sit on 4 extras to get the price break at 5 even though it's practically half price. With my luck I'd damage one in storage!

I'm also really encouraged to swapping the glass in myself. I just need another week of weather like we just had when the glass shows up (60+ degrees all week!). I had read John's article before as I was poring through info when I first joined the site. It seemed like info that I was eventually going to need to know...

Ray, thanks for the offer -- hopefully I'll get it changed before I get down there in the bus again. If not, I'll certainly take you up on that.

Thanks again for all the great info and encouragement.

Remember Prevost also offers free shipping.

I had Prevost change one of the four panels in my H3 (I was too chicken to go the Ray route). Probably good thing I did as apparently the last time it was changed they used some sort of silicone adhesive instead of the standard silicone (sorry can't remember the product name). As a result the tech literally had to sit in the drivers seat and pound with his feet on the windshield to remove it.

Mike