Thread: New to full time the wives veiw

Hybrid View

PART TWO

HOME:
    A biggy and one that comes to my mind now and then.

In a way, this decision was, in part, made for us. We were within two days of buying a house in Nova Scotia when the deal fell through. Although, Lloyd turning 50 probably had as much influence on this decision...

Very rarely do I wish I had a house to return to and, usually, in hindsight, I see that that is directly related to the times when I miss my friends, family and community.

The other times are few and far between, but to be honest I also crave a home when I'm longing for beauty (this is mostly about being a Nova Scotian--we often leave, but we usually long to "come back"), humidity, or when we're both trying to cook in the 'kitchen' at the same time...

This is such a personal choice, it's difficult to comment. House things I miss: clothesline (!), garden, gorgeous view (rarely guaranteed at most campground), space, privacy. I don't miss cleaning that much space!

We have a storage room for our essentials so that's not a worry.

A bus is easier and faster, it seems to me, to maintain.

The bus suits us so well that it looks and feels like a house on wheels. It has everything we need. (A lot of people don't like or use their Splendide washer/dryer, but I love mind and would not like to haul my laundry somewhere else.)

FAMILY & FRIENDS:
    The most important.

Of course I miss my family and friends, especially when I miss a birthday, or my nephew's first words and steps, or my girlfriend needs a shoulder to cry on... I imagine we all have some of that in our lives given the loved ones that don't live near us even when we have a home base.

For me, the virtual capabilities nowadays make keeping in touch and up to date possible. With Facebook or other social networks you can keep up to date on a daily basis for free. I love that my oldest nephew, my niece, my sis-in-law and my little brother can know what I'm up to every day if they want and vice versa. There's Skype, cell phones, digital photos...

We do drive through family and friend destinations or we fly there on holidays so, basically, we charge up on the lovin' and we're sad when we leave, but then we go back to our adventure and we're happy.

COMMUNITY:
    Will you miss your immediate community?

We have a tight knit, vibrant, kind and conscientious community back home.

If we didn't have family, we would choose these people as family.

Unless you spend a length of time, 1 month+, or choose a campground with a built in community (snowbird communities, for example), you may miss the community aspect. I do.

Also, Nova Scotia itself has a whole different lifestyle, landscape, weather system, values, etc. from anywhere I've ever been, and I do miss that. Thankfully, we visited for two weeks in November and will be back again for a visit in July/August this year.

It may be worth mentioning that I "signed up for" (we joke) for a one year of full-timing with a "we'll see after that" clause. It's just over two years and it feels like less than half that time. Now we have plans to continue through next winter. Then I'd like some time at home, but I'm not sure if that's just a couple months, or a snowbird scenario, or longer. Regardless, we're almost sure we'll never sell the bus and will head out throughout the year in future years. Who knows, we might even do it by the year again. Time goes by so fast when there's so much fun and newness. And there's a lot of fun and there's always newness!

There are ALWAYS opportunities for social interaction on the road if you think that might be a good fix. Generally, RVers/campers are the friendliest and most inviting people you can meet. Some campgrounds have event calendars or daily/weekly gatherings or events: crafts, exercise, games, pot lucks, breakfasts, movies, and a lot more.

It is extremely easy to meet and even form a friendship with the people around you. We have made countless friends, many of which we remain in touch with via our travel blog. We've even met up with several across the country!

CHANCE OF A LIFETIME:

In my mind, this one can't be debated. Full-timing such an amazing way to see North America: the beauty, the uniqueness from community to community, the people, the history, the culture!

And you can do it YOUR way, at your own pace, wherever you want, whatever you want!

We're on an inspiring and rewarding adventure and we always feel blessed for that.

CHAPTER 2:
    just kidding...

Hope it helps a little... I welcome any comments or questions.

My best,

Pamela

Great post, Pam!

If we weren't already fulltiming, reading your post would surely inspire me to do so!

Thank you Pam. I think you re affirm for me what the life style can be. A Very rewarding and enjoyable experience.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

edmartine Guest

Thank you so much for your insight, I believe you covered everything. Though we are not full timing yet perhaps in a few months, we have been on extended stay trips and I do get cabin fever. When this comes over me I usually feel like going home right away but perhaps I just need to intubate myself in some of the events going around the park. Perhaps it is just boredom. The cold weather is trying in the bus partly because we have no desire to get out however our two dogs still need to be let outside wich usually falls in my husband jobs. Ed is also fifty and I believe the need to explore and see new sights has a bit to do with age. I am 41 though I have very few family members at home to visit. I get this urge to go back and check on the house. Perhaps if I had no house, this need would be satisfied. However life is an adventure and getting off the super highway and taking a bit of a detour may make it a bit brighter or maybe just some funny stories. I would hope to meet up with you guys in the future. I am going to get a blog before I begin this journey and I will add you on it your taste in hobbies and adventures sounds right up our alley. From Texas Michelle