Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to full time the wives veiw

edmartine Guest

Default New to full time the wives veiw

My husband and I have been enjoying the Bus style of traveling around for a little over a year now and really do enjoy it, however, we are at a point in our lives were traveling full time is an option. Getting up everyday and seeing and doing the same things is become quite boring. The children have already left the nest and we would like now to enjoy seeing the US bit by bit. Absorbing new things on a whim and chasing the warm climate. I was wondering if anyone can perhaps share their experiences on when they made that leap to selling ones home and hitting the road full time. I'll take the good the bad and the ugly!!
    thanks(a bit worried) michelle

Talking The time is now.

I look forward to hearing from those who have become full timers. Its an interesting subject which we do not hear much about. I would like to do this as well in the future.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Michelle you are smart to ask for the women to respond, since I find most men (if they do not have too many toys in the garage back home) are all for full timing and the wives are reluctant to leave home and grand children. Pamela will reply later this week from a woman's perspective. Though we did not have a hoe to leave since the couple that bought our house is Atlanta bought everything in the house, furniture, pots, painting, books, the lot. So we moved to Nova Scotia possession free. Though we do not have children, we have family in NS, AB, and GA which we try to see at least once a year. We miss our friends but also try to get back once a year to see them. If you decide to go full time, start a blog, it is a great way for family and friends to travel along. If you need some recommendations or help just let me know I will be happy to help you. Blogs are simple to set up and maintain. Best to you, it is a great life.

I don't think that I could do it FULLTIME. I would not want to sell my house and store all of my furniture. I also would not want to be away from my children, grandkids, and friends for months at a time. I can promise you that Louise would not want to do it. Also, swapping an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset goes against my monetary grain.

I would however, like to take several 5 to 6 week trips per year. Ideally, I think that leaving my coach in different cities around the country, flying home for a few weeks, and then flying back to continue my travels would be a perfect way to see America. That seems to be a good compromise to fulltiming for me.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

edmartine Guest

Default a full timers commitment

Yes I would like others peoples opinions on this subject. It is a non conventional way to live and I am glad this option is open to Ed and I. However, I am also a bit scared. I used to be in favor of change in any form but the older I get the less adventurous I seem to be. Not having a home base seems a little radical to me. Perhaps I am making a big deal out of nothing please forward your thoughts michelle

There are a lot of full timers and maybe the best way to find out about it is to join FMCA and one of the full timer's chapters.

Going full time is a huge change for some of us. We are not apartment or condo dwellers so both my wife and I have "stuff" and our life is built around our "stuff" to an extent. She loves cooking and has all the gear necessary to make anything she wants. She likes hanging clothes on the line. We garden and can a lot of what we don't eat fresh from the garden. We have way too many cars and I have a garage full of tools. My life is wrapped up in doing stuff like fixing things.

We learned a long time ago the 4 week trips put us at the edge of our sanity. We both need to be home after as little as a week, although there are times we can actually stretch it to 2 weeks. So for us out and back trips work well. But there is nothing we like better than getting home.

On the other hand this group has members that full time in their coach and appear to love it. They will identify themselves and render opinions as to their experiences. For the broadest base of opinions however look into FMCA and the chapter of full timers.

Michelle the Fulltimers chapter in FMCA is very active the 100%s chapter is not. I would recommend you join the Fulltimers. the three-ring binder you get when joining is filled with useful information.

Michelle, my suggestion is to join the Escapees discussion board at:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/

They have a full timing section that you can get all of you questions answered and more.

We have been full-timers ever since we retired..... 8 years ago! Our thought at the time was to travel around the country for a while until we found the place that we would buy or build a home to retire to.

Well, we have enjoyed the lifestyle so much that we just can't give it up just yet. It is truly an experience that you cannot fully explain in words alone, although I'm sure that it isn't for everyone.

I'll see if I can convince my wife Janice to post some wife-specific comments, although she is probably even more enthusiastic about full-timing than I am.

Michelle, I'll tell you what we did, take it for what it's worth. About four years ago we had reached a point of wanting to sell our house and move from the neighborhood. Problem was there were no homes on the market that we cared for and we were in no mood to build again. So we planned to sell the house, move to the coach and travel, keeping an eye on the housing market through our Realtor and the Net. We normally were always gone durning the winter month anyway so this was not such a change. We planned to return home for the spring and early summer months for GKids sports.
    We stored the 'stuff' that made sense to keep and sold or gave away the 'stuff' that we [probably] would have if we just moved across town.

We did ALL this and, what a sense of freedom, if we wanted to go, we went. No concern with who to have keep an eye on the place.

We lasted 2 years, not because of the life style but, a house came on the market we just had to have [should have never looked at it].

We have 'Full Time' '1/2 Time', and 'Part Time' friends. The Full Timers seem to go like crazy for a few years then gravitate to a spot for the winter and a different spot for the summer. The 1/2 Timers ,we know, have an AZ. house and live there in winter and own an ODR RV lot on the Oregon coast, where they stay the summer. [Sounds good to me]

Seems you can get a creative as you want. We found it is always a trade off. We did alot of things we would never have done if we were on a set schedule at home. We missed some fun times with family and friends at home as well.

If you are happy with your current Bus, try to avoid the "We need a bigger, better, longer, shorter, newer, or slide Bus" syndrome and you will be OK. Selling your house in this market might be a question, maybe leasing it would be an option.

You will do what is good for you. Sorry to go on and on.