Thread: Transmission not going into gear

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Transmission not going into gear

I just had a replacement engine put in my 1994 Angola a few weeks ago finally. The bus has to warm up for about 10 minutes before it will engage into gear. After it goes into gear the first time, it's fine. I can take it back to the shop that did it but it's 8 hours round trip and if I do or don't do that I'd like to try to get an idea of what it might be if anyone can help.

Jeff,

I know of two things that will prevent the transmission from going into gear.

The first is the engine is at too high of an RPM. Make sure it is on low idle. The second is the transmission must be at a specific temperature in order to allow gear changes. If this is what is happening it may be related to a sensor, one of the connections or a failure to communicate.

If this was happening to me I would remove and re-insert each of the transission and DDEC connections several times to make sure it is not a connection issue. That would tend to wipe away any slight corrosion that may be affecting the very low voltage signals between the two brains. Don't forget the one right at the transmission. Don't get under the bus unless it is supported.

Also Jeff, check to see that there is the proper amount of oil in the transmission.

Do you have the same trans. that you had before the engine swap?

I have had experience with automobile trans. where some or other valve was stuck/leaking that allowed oil to drain internally from where it was supposed to be and required excessive warm up.

Grabbing at straws here, but giving some ideas.

Why not call an Allison shop and ask the same question of them, then go to your shop.

Did this problem show up when you picked up the bus at the repair shop, or at some later date?

JIM

Jeff Bayley Guest

Thanks guys-

The engine is not at too high idle but good point. I need to take it to detroit in fact to get the high idle adjusted since there is no difference. It's at around 770-800 RPM's.

The owner of the shop said that it did this to him the first time he tried putting it into gear after the engine swap and didn't do it again but I know now that it does it every time it's cold. I'll check the connections and the oil level. Joe is coming down here from Chicago to go through a punch list on both of my buses next week.

Any other suggestions welcomed. Thank you Jim and Jon.

Jeff,

Here's a link from the Blue Bird Wanderlodge site that describes the same problem one of our members was having:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=3768