Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many service their Webasto

Sticks,

With the Webasto "ON" a couple of things are happening. First, the coolant circulation pump is functioning so hot coolant is moving throughout the house heat exchangers.

Second, warm air is flowing from areas not necessarily served by the OTR heat distribution. Depending on the coach configuration your comfort may be found using practices not necessary for the owner of a different coach.

It takes experimentation. Obviously you have close the shutters and probably did other things, so maybe the next step is to use the Webasto heat instead of the OTR, or even use both the OTR heat in conjuction with Webasto.

There are all sorts of things that prevent "one size fits all" advice because your floor plan, your systems layout, slides or no slides, and other factors are specific to your coach. I would suggest you keep playing with various combinations of heat until you find what works for you. Everyone needs to realize however that with the huge windshields these buses are a serious challenge for environmental systems. If you are moving in cold weather the air flowing across the windshield is wicking away all the heat and cold air is spilling down across your legs.

As soon as you stop moving, the exact same heat settings you used to try to stay warm will now have people sitting in the front roasting. Conversely, driving into the sun makes it difficult to stay cool, and using the same settings with the sun at your back leaves you freezing. Good luck.

sticks Guest

After two trips , your observations and explanations are right on. Now add a wife who is ALWAYS hot, and adjusting the OTR and webasto gets even more complicated.

Unlike our houses which stay pointed in the same direction, and which are not moving our buses are doing all the wrong things when it comes to finding ways to keep temperatures constant and comfortable.

I strongly suspect that the primary reason most coaches today are built without OTR is because air distribution in an OTR coach is a difficult challenge when it comes to designing the interior, but that challenge reaches epic proportions when slides are added into the equation.

Our non-slide coach is somewhat easy for setting and maintaining comfortable temperatures throughout, but as the outside temps get further away from a comfortable room temperature, different settings and techniques are called for. We have used the Webasto alone, in combination with the OTR, or just the driver's heat. There is no single answer and unfortunately I have no clue about the temps back in the living room or kitchen so what may work for me in my driver's seat may have no affect on the rest of the bus which means I have to start re-adjusting.

I do know the key to success is air flow so the more air I can move the more likely the whole coach will be somewhat uniform in temperature. The windshield operates as a huge heat sink so on bitter cold days to keep the front warm the rear of the bus may be a sauna, and when driving into the sun I am absorbing radiant heat from the sun, and anyone sitting in the living room needs a snowmobile suit. All settings can be thrown out the window as soon as you pull into a rest area for lunch because the non-moving conditions are different and you have to start playing with settings all over again.

Sometimes it is just as easy to dress up or down rather than trying to find a setting that works.