Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large toad problems

Default Large toad problems

Those of you that tow large vehicles, have you had any problems with Ball Joints and Steering Gear box or such items? My Excursion's Steering Gear box has gone bad and I am wondering if this is a towing problem or poor quality box.
    Greg

Greg, I tow a 07 GMC 3/4 ton 4 door pick-up, so far no issues that I am aware of. I think I have towed it about 10,000 miles to date.

Greg - I have been towing my Tundra for 8 years, and with 160,000 registered miles, and unknown towed miles, it still drives like new. That said, towing a vehicle, large or small, puts the toad thru some very unnatural motions which are potentially hard on suspension and steering parts.

Ken
    Ken Robertson
    Parliament Motor Coach - 727-748-5986

Greg, I have towed my 2007 Tahoe for well over 70,000 miles no problems other than the front end pitted from rocks from the bus. The nice thing about a Tahoe is it hooks up in less than 5 minutes. No pulling fuses nothing.

Thanks guys, Ford Excursion have a wandering problem and I have narrowed mine down to a bad steering gear box. I want to check and see if this could be tow related and not the standard problems I have read about on some Ford forums.
    Thanks again
    Greg

ajhaig Guest

We towed our 3/4 ton Suburban for about 15,000 miles. We had Road Master tow bars and the M&G brake system.

We had to replace our transfer case, the dealer was adamant that the wheels down towing caused the damaged. I think the transfer case failure had nothing at all to do with the towing.

Other than that we didn't have any issues.

Roadpilot Guest

We've towed our '05 Chevy Silverado 20,000 miles and it needed a change of gears in the transfer case. When I tow it, I change gears in the transfer case in ways I never do otherwise. But I don't think towing caused the problem, I think I would have had an issue if I had used the transfer case that way anyway.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Cool No Problem - So Far

Greg,

Weighing in with a 2500 Ram 4x4 about 6,000 lbs. I have not had a vehicle related problem - so far. We have logged a conservative 25,000 miles on it including one trip around the USofA at 7,000 miles in one month.

You ought to ditch the Excursion and check into a 4x4 Durango!

Had a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4 door we towed 70,000. Towed it with a plastic coach and the Prevost. When the odometer reached about 60,000 meaning a total of 130,00 the front end of the truck was really loose. Seemed to be a little wear in everything as no single item seemed beyond specs. I think that much towing took a toll. Now tow a TJ jeep wrangler. Both of these toads have the same transfer case.

We have put 70K plus miles towing on our 04 Tahoe. Other than wearing out the front tires a little quicker than normal we haven't had any issues so far.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston