Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6V-92 Driving style

Default 6V-92 Driving style

If you saw my first post in New Members, you know I am one, and haven't picked my coach up yet. It has a 6V-92 Turbo motor, and I have been told to "drive it like you stole it", well in my car stealing years I discovered girls and never bothered to waste my time stealing, so not sure what that means.

I know you are not supposed to lug these two strokes, but what RPM is a good cruise range. At 1600 RPM the coach is going approx 62 mph. Fuel economy aside what is a good cruising speed/rpm?

What should be the top rpm on acceleration? (I have an auto so that may be academic)?

Chuckd

Stillwater MN
    Volvo 770 pulling a New Horizons fifth wheel.

Did you get any books, manuals etc with the bus.

Drive it like you stole it means, pedal to the metal.

You should try to find the top RPM limit and stay away from it. Do a little internet searching or call a DD shop.

To sort of find one on your own put the trans in top gear and find an clear open stretch of road and run through the gears automatically, notating the shift point rpms for 1, 2, 3 and don't exceed that in 4 speed or in any down shift situation.

62 mph is a good speed.

How's the rubber on that baby?

JIM

Jim, thanks for the ideas, the tires are 3 years old, and the coach has been inside except for a few trips to Mn for vacation.

Chuckd

Volvo 770, 1979 Prevost

I would indeed drive it like you stole it. I drove a 6V-92 for several years and it had a 10 speed transmission. If you drive it around at 1600 RPM you will not like the results. I drove this one with my foot in it which was about 2100 RPM, but it was geared to run about 68 mph at that rate. However, it would run that speed up the hill or town the hill - loaded or not.

It was a good engine as the unit had a massive transfer case so it would run the pumping equipment with the road engine when rigged up on location and it hummed along for hours and never missed a beat. And I drove the crap out of it.

We are Full Timers last Home was in Austin Texas

Default 6V-92

Chuck, I have a 89 8V-92. I have 250K on it. I can tell you heat is the biggest problem with the two strokes. The interesting thing that I have found out I do not worry about RPM's but rather heat. I drive by my PYRO's. Keeping the PYRO's between 900-1000 I get my best pulling performance. I some times back off the petal going up hill and find I lose less speed. Remember two strokes need air. If you have the PYRO meters try to find your best temp over a load. I think you will be surprised at the results you will find. And by the way welcome. Love to see your bus. Come to Kerrville next OCT to show it off.

Gary Moss

Gary, thanks for the pyro tip. Presently with my Volvo pulling such a light load, don't pay much attention to the temp reading.

Thanks again
    Chuck
    1979 35 foot Prevost
    1999 770 Volvo pulling a New Horizons

We are Full Timers last Home was in Austin Texas

Default 6v-92

Chuck, I pull a 24' Car hauler with a GX460 Luxes inside. Total Weight around 10K. When I started pulling the trailer with the car inside my transmission oil temp went up by 20-25 degrees. In the mountains it would jump up as high as 30-35 above normal. Had the transmission serviced and the temp drop back to what it was when I was just pulling a F150 four door truck. When the transmission was running hot it pushed up the engine temp also by about 10 degrees. So long story short you may want to find out the last time the transmission fluid was changed. And if you can't find out it can not hurt to have it changed. At the last rally in OKC we had a great seminar at United Engines and it really opened my eyes on transmission issues. The new TranSynd fluid can make a hugh difference in heat and performance.

GAry

When I talked to DD about changing to TranSynd in my 5 speed, they said not to do it and stick with Dextron. Prevost had the same advise. Maybe they have changed their tune, so I would check with them before switching over on the older tranny's.

Orren Zook Guest

I switched to Transynd on my 87 Liberty and experienced temperature drops similar to what Gary mentioned, W.W.Williams recommended changing over from Dextron to extend the service interval, the lower operating temperatures was a pleasant added bonus.

Sure would be nice to get the straight poop from Allison. If I remember correctly, DD said something about a seal problem on the HT series when converting to Transynd.

Orren - Do you have any contacts that could clarify this?