Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on Kar Kaddy?

Lew,

You are right! I am sorry that I explained it incorrectly.

Thanks for the correction. I do perform it like you describe, ending up with D for 1 minute, then back to neutral.

1. Start engine, let it idle in neutral for 1 minute
    2. Put it in R for 1 minute with foot on the brake
    3. Put it in D for 1 minute with foot on the brake
    4. Put it in N for 1 mintue
    5. Turn engine off leaving it in N

Looks like you just saved us some "Lewbucks".
    Last edited by merle&louise; 09-18-2006 at 11:09 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

In particular Honda is saying the Civic Hybrid is non-towable, because of the CVT transmission. Ken and Ellen have indicated to me they tow their CVT without issue.

Remco offers a Honda towing warranty. (Whether it's worth it or not is a different question). But, even Remco won't warranty the Civic or Accord Hybrid, and now the 2006 Pilot and the Ridgeline.

I'm not saying I believe that the units are un-towable, but that's the scoup, after a bunch of research.

Ray

Ray, If you seek a no-brainer vehicle to tow there is no substitute for a vehicle you can tow without modification or the need to go through a special procedure periodically.

There are enough things you have to remember when towing (such as releasing the hand brake for example) so if you can get a car that you just stick the transmission or transfer case in neutral you are going to have the least trouble.

Tuga and other Honda owners have successfully towed these vehicles for a long time. Ditto for Saturn owners. In my opinion those two vehicles and Jeep 4 wheel drive vehicles seem to be the most commonly towed vehicles and that suggests they are the most trouble free for towing.

I have towed a Dodge Raider (Mitsubishi Montero), a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Dodge Ram 1500, and an H2 Hummer. All were towed four wheels down, all were four wheel drive, and all I had to do was put the transfer case in neutral (and release the handbrake). Only the Hummer has supplemental braking. I don't believe anybody except Fast Roger (who has a new car every week) used a dolly at POG I. All towed four wheels down and if I recall the towed vehicles ranged from my H2 to a Jeep Liberty, to a Honda Element to a Ford Explorer, and a Jeep GC. Ken and Ellen would have brought their Honda, but they had a problem unrelated to anything we are discussing.

Ray,

When I first got into RVing I purchased a Demko Kar Kaddy because my tow car was automatic and not towable; after six months I bought a manual transmission car and towed it on all four.

Many of the reason have already been stated why I made the switch but there is one more I want to add. I am sure this has not happened to anyone else, but on a couple of occassions I made the wrong turn and had to unhook the Kar Kaddy to turn around. This only happens when it is raining, snowing or in a muddy parking lot. Much easier to unhook the toad when towing on all four than to lay on the cold, wet, muddy ground to unhook the car dolly.

That was 14 years ago and I have not regretted the move.

Denny

Ray,

I had a Ford Expedition which was just great, but couldn't tow 4 down. Finally gave up and bought a Honda e w/ a stick, just to make sure there weren't any towing issues. Have been very happy with the Toaster.

Mike

toaster_7860.jpg

When did they make hearses with a manual transmission?

Not you Mike, you just beat my response to Denny by a minute.

Denny, great points. I've decided against the Kar Kaddy, but it was at least worth the investigation.

Ray

Hey I can fit a casket in the Toaster w/ the best of 'em.

MM

Except that Mike uses the Toaster more as a trailer than a conveyance. I drove it at OSH. It beats walking. And I loaded 6 people into it with none of them in the back. When we got to the campground it looked like a clown car unloading........

Default Towing a Car

My experience has been more for vacation travel rather than full timing, or beng on the road from place to place. It seems to me when you take into consideration the cost of the Auto, and the Towing as well as the reduction of Speed and getting in and out of Stations, sites, etc. it has been much easier to just rent a car when I reach my destination. Of coarse, if you are going to many different places, this may not work. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide