Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Slide Seal

Jon,

Here is a picture of my rear slide in 2006 when my painter nicked it with his grinding wheel.

You are correct, there is one open end to the loop and the other end is glued closed. The air supply tube is connected thru the wall and into the wheel well. I can not remember why the air supply tube is outside on this picture it seems like it should be threaded thru to the wheel well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by merle&louise; 08-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

RussWhite, Thank you for your generous offer. I'll send you a PM.

Tuga, I'm beginning to understand. It seems that one end is factory glued and the other end is cut to length, glued, and clamped. It also appears that the ends are positioned at the bottom of the slide. This is where it gets fuzzy for me. How do you achieve a weather tight seal where the clamp is placed? How big is the clamp? Do you position the clamp adjacent to the slide or does it get tucked in somewhere? Thanks so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by travelite View Post
    RussWhite, Thank you for your generous offer. I'll send you a PM.

Tuga, I'm beginning to understand. It seems that one end is factory glued and the other end is cut to length, glued, and clamped. It also appears that the ends are positioned at the bottom of the slide. This is where it gets fuzzy for me. How do you achieve a weather tight seal where the clamp is placed? How big is the clamp? Do you position the clamp adjacent to the slide or does it get tucked in somewhere? Thanks so much for your help.
    David,

The end of the seal is positioned at the bottom of the slide in the center of the slideroom. When I get to Austin, we can retract my slideroom and take a look at the clamped part. It has been 5 years since mine was done and to be honest I can not remember exactly how it begins and ends. The clamp is small, I remember that. The clamp is screwed directly into the wood frame that the seal sits in. The beginning may be laid over the clamp to form a good seal, I just can't remember.

I think Russ is going to change his bedroom seal pretty soon, maybe he can explain it better than I can. Russ, are you planning on attending the Austin POG 10 rally? Maybe you could do a little seminar on changing seals!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

If you guys are going to do show and tell at Austin perhaps we can convince you to let all interested see how things are done on other slides. So far based on what I am learning here the difference between the Prevost slides and the Newell slides is the seal does not have bonded in corners, nor is it a complete loop.

The differences may not be important and if the location of the air supply tube can be resolved owners of Prevost slides may have a much less expensive alternative to the fabricated, closed loop seal. One difference of significance however is that the Prevost seal comes with a double sided tape for adhesion to a stainless steel mounting surface that completely surrounds the slide opening. There is no way to screw the seal end in place unless someone is willing to drill holes in their coach.

Quote Originally Posted by RussWhite View Post
    David,

I have ordered a seal from Newell in anticipation of replacing the one around my bedroom slide. As you noted, they come in only one standard length and you just cut to fit your opening. I will have extra left and would be glad to send you pictures or even a sample if you like. My undersatnding is that our seals glue in place. I like the sound of yours fitting in a track. I am doubtful however that the glue in type would work in your track, but who knows. I hope you can get enough folks interested to cut a deal for custom seals directily from SealMaster. Later, Russ ' 99 Newell
    Hi Russ,

Thank you very much for the short section of your slide seal. I received it in the mail yesterday. I'm very much indebted; if there's anything I can do for you don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Has anyone used asource other than Prevost for a factory slide seal replacement?
    many thanks
    Rob

TRY DOUG AT EXCALIBUR COACH IN SANFORD FL NICE GUY DARRELL

Hey Darrell, nice to see another Thompson owner on POG!!!!!! I you would ever like to shoot the bull give me a call 559-901-6426 or sidtuls@yahoo.com

Thanks

Sid

Darrell, It was great to see you again in Sanford a few weeks ago. Finally got to meet your wife and it was a pleasure. Sure hope that y'all will join us at a rally soon. For those of you that were at Shady Acres Campground in Mobile during a small oyster festival years ago, Darrell is the nice gentleman that brought each of us 5 lbs. of beautiful large shrimp. Thanks again for that Darrell. Your new Thompson XL11 D/S is beautiful!! Get out and enjoy it with the POG group one day soon. We are caravanning to Las Vegas (with a few stops in between) the end of September and would love for you to join us.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES