Thread: Bay Floor Strength

Default Bay Floor Strength

I am considering installing an entertainment cabinet in a bay that is the only one in the bus that has a floor that is single thickness. Of course I could add 3/4" ply to beef up the floor but without tying into existing structure it wouldn't accomplish much.

Anyone dealt with this or any suggestion? Is the single thickness flooring strong enough to support approx. 100-150 lbs.?

Thanks for the help.

My tool box easily weighs more than that so from experience I would say you are okay. And if you ever looked in Mango Mike's coach you would see thousands of pounds of gear; it looks like an H-345 Low Rider.

But Trukman says his bay only holds inflatable sheep. Guess they are pretty heavy. Or he has a lot of them. Or both.

Larry, My toolbox is on the third curbside bay which has a single thickness floor. No problem with weight so far. In our bus that bay contains access to the fuel tank hardware so you might consider building a cabinet for your entertainment stuff that fits the compartment and can be unfastened and removed if you need to do tank maintenance.

Brian, that is the same bay I plan to use. Same floor, same fuel tank arrangement. I have planes to allow for easy removal of the cabinet----fine minds think alike?
    Thanks for the reply.

The floor prevo puts in the bay floor is 3/4 in plywood and if it's in good condition can hold quite a bit of weight. In fact even if it isn't in good condition still has the ability to carry a load.

I've emptied plumbing bays with floors like a sponge u could poke thru nothing had even shifted. Battery bay floors that were destroyed with acid still holding 8d batteries up.

If u r stored inside and nip all the fresh water leaks as they happen this will never happen to u. That is not to say u have no leaks. If u seasonal down south u will learn the watertightedness of your bays with a potential downpour or a good long drive in a hard rain.

If u store outside and the bus is older u will uncover these things along the way cause u will see them right off.

Repairs r pretty easy to do very well,once u get the bay empty. If u do it right and set the circular saw to 3/4 bad pieces can be removed without disrupting any of the spray foam on the underside and it turns out much better. Trying to use rattle can expanding foam is a royal pita to get looking good trying to spray it up under there.

On one of the repairs in a bad battery bay we layered in 3/4 in Oak tongue and grove the exposed end right at the opening looked really good and it fit perfect changed nothing but the look.

I can't think of anything I've ever seen hauled in a bay up to now that the standard bay floors will not support. Generators water tanks golf carts massive amounts of tools.

I wonder if anyone ever had anything even begin to push thru a floor that's probably not the kind of thing people would talk about. No different than any bay leaks in general I would suppose.

If u have cabinates that r mounted to a bay floor that has carpeting and u have a water problem and it is damp u should be pulling that cabinate to really get it dried out right. Those bay cabinates normally come out really easy. Identify and stop the leak. Almost a given to see water and bay floor damage in used buses stored outside and not attended to correctly. Check the 2 low strikers for the bay doors they tell a story. I see mint I also see them so corroded they r lying in there unattached.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-27-2016 at 08:58 AM.